Missive

by Joey Fu profile

Slice of life/Mystery

It's your birthday today. Your ex-girlfriend brings you a present, and inside are a series of mysterious letters that tell the story of an old love triangle that ended in murder. Solve puzzles, solve the mystery, or get wasted and do neither: it's up to you.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: pyc6502gxd98g918

7th Place overall; 3rd Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Dead Letters: Missive
Despite this I did find myself intrigued by the story – Astor’s more than the one taking place in the present day – and the letter puzzles weren’t impossible. ... Even if you never understand why you can still watch the story unfold – something I very much associate with daytime TV amateur sleuthing.

Fun Twine game with clever, skippable puzzles, February 3, 2016
Missive is clever and fun, but is a bit of a mismatch. It has a gripping and interesting story about a man who just went through a breakup interacting with both his ex girlfriend and a mysterious present.

These form two fairly distinct stories that are both good. The true relationship between you and your ex slowly comes out in a very clever way. The present story involves sifting through old letters and deciphering puzzles. If you get the puzzles right, you pick the correct next letter to read. It doesn't tell you if you were right till the end, making lawnmowering hard. You can have a great experience without solving all the puzzles.

The game has some scattered profanity and frequent alcohol use. These usually turn me off of a game, but the PC was painted as a (to me) lovable guy going through a hard time, so I had sympathy for him. Good game.

If you enjoyed Missive...

People who like Missive also gave high ratings to these games:

Glass, by Emily Short
The Prince sits awkwardly on the couch, holding his glass slipper and trying to keep it from crushing. Lucinda and Theodora have the ends of the same couch, and they are taking turns seeing who can bend lowest and show off the most...

Sorcerer, by Steve Meretzky
Sorcerer, the second of a spellbinding fantasy series in the tradition of Zork, takes you on a magical tour through the darker side of Zorkian enchantment. Your journey begins with a cryptic diary - the last trace of the now-vanished...

Sunset Over Savannah, by Ivan Cockrum

Missive appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite wordplay/puzzle/code games by MathBrush
Games whose main 'genre' is wordplay. This list does not include games like the Edifice or Suveh Nux which have significant wordplay elements, but which are not the focus of the story.

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

The following polls include votes for Missive:

Games with unique hint systems by delano
I'm looking for games that offer hints in any way, except for printing them in sequence on the screen. For example: characters that offer hints; objects that, when examined or used in a certain way, suggest actions to the player; etc.

Games that show everyday life by Sam Jackson
I'm looking for preferably short games that focus on part of someone's life in our world and preferably our time. I would like games with an emotional focus.

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 23 November 2014 at 1:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item