Slap That Fish

by Peter Nepstad profile

Surreal
2007

Go to the game's main page

Smack!, October 20, 2007
This is a combat game about fighting fish.

The opening of the game is probably its weakest point: thereís not much information to ground the absurd set-up, and itís also possible at first not to realize that you can do anything but PUNCH, SLAP, KICK, and BACKHAND the various fish. I went through a few rounds of that and found myself wondering whether there was more to the game than randomized combat. (Itís not really randomized, either, but I didnít recognize that at the very outset.) So I came close to quitting, before I realized that there were both puzzles and a (slight) story in there; I just hadnít really gotten to them yet.

Things pick up in the midgame, as new props become available to fight with, we learn a little more about the premise, and the fish start to fight back. The final fight ends with a fanfare and flourish that make the earlier fights seem more significant.

Itís still not what you would call a great game -- the game-play is too repetitive, and there is not enough feedback on puzzle solutions -- but it has a certain quirky charm.