younggayandstupid.blogspot.com

by Midorix

Slice of life

A peek into a nine day log of an online journal belonging to a nameless, gay college freshman.

TUID: po4rjk15kfb3l0pm

Interesting, October 27, 2014
Although this story is not interactive in any way, the attractive way it is presented including the blog format still makes it a nice game. The protagonist is somebody I liked, especially after his negative, but also clever comments on the effeminate guys in his former high school.

His voice sounds as authentic as his experiences, but I couldn't really figure the sudden ending out, including why he would seriously go to this sleazy party again - although I guess him having sex and getting drunk for the first time is about finally experiencing something exciting and lively. The way he was portrayed as a young man completely shut down, maybe even smothered by his parents, was intriguing.

The graphical presentation in Twine was also well done, by the way. Again I do know why I use Twine myself ;o).

Finally, I wondered whether the label "gay" was really necessary - the reflections and experiences of the young man are universally (shy) male, I think, also his funny observations about his teachers and so on, and the text isn't about any "queer" or "queer theory" stuff etc at all, it's very normal and regular - quite refreshing. This show imho how superficial this constructed "identity" is often used by hetero- *and* homosexual people. On the other hand, without the mentioning of the protagonists sexuality, I wouldn't have tried the game out. Oh well...

If you enjoyed younggayandstupid.blogspot.com...

People who like younggayandstupid.blogspot.com also gave high ratings to these games:

Amity x Li, by KimikoMuffin
An entry in Ruin Jam 2014 about two girls in love, chatting about life. Amity Watkins and her girlfriend Li Anderson are seniors in high school in the smallish, obscure town of Foxville, Massachusetts. It's Saturday, only five episodes...

Time, by Lars "HerrvonSpeck" Engelmann
"Time" is about time...

Emma the Trust Fund Baby, by garcia1000
Emma the Trust Fund Baby is born with a silver spoon in her mouth figuratively. Short, quite linear IF dealing with the life of Emma the Trust Fund Baby.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by midorix on 24 October 2014 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item