by Midorix

Slice of life

A peek into a nine day log of an online journal belonging to a nameless, gay college freshman.

TUID: po4rjk15kfb3l0pm

Interesting, October 27, 2014
Although this story is not interactive in any way, the attractive way it is presented including the blog format still makes it a nice game. The protagonist is somebody I liked, especially after his negative, but also clever comments on the effeminate guys in his former high school.

His voice sounds as authentic as his experiences, but I couldn't really figure the sudden ending out, including why he would seriously go to this sleazy party again - although I guess him having sex and getting drunk for the first time is about finally experiencing something exciting and lively. The way he was portrayed as a young man completely shut down, maybe even smothered by his parents, was intriguing.

The graphical presentation in Twine was also well done, by the way. Again I do know why I use Twine myself ;o).

Finally, I wondered whether the label "gay" was really necessary - the reflections and experiences of the young man are universally (shy) male, I think, also his funny observations about his teachers and so on, and the text isn't about any "queer" or "queer theory" stuff etc at all, it's very normal and regular - quite refreshing. This show imho how superficial this constructed "identity" is often used by hetero- *and* homosexual people. On the other hand, without the mentioning of the protagonists sexuality, I wouldn't have tried the game out. Oh well...

If you enjoyed younggayandstupid.blogspot.com...

People who like younggayandstupid.blogspot.com also gave high ratings to these games:

The Fire Tower, by Jacqueline A. Lott

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Gun Mute, by C.E.J. Pacian
Step into the shoes of Mute Lawton, a lone cowboy who must stop an execution set to occur at noon by shooting his way past dangerous cyborgs and mutants in a post-apocalyptic western setting. (From the IndieGames.com review.) Gun Mute is...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by midorix on 24 October 2014 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item