ftf.gam
ftf_manual.pdf
documentation
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.
ftf.sol
solution

First Things First

by J. Robinson Wheeler profile

Time Travel
2001

Youíve just arrived at home from your nightly visit to the science and invention section of the local public library, where you spend each night dreaming your dreamy dreams of one day inventing a time travel machine. Tonight, for some reason, youíre especially fatigued, and canít wait to get inside and go right to bed. Seems like a good plan, but somehow you have a premonition itís not going to be that easy...

Language: English (en-US)
Forgiveness Rating: Tough
IFID: 259BCBB6-E865-BC73-95F3-C28052CF8492
TUID: p4dlfwy4yg6pzdba

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Story; Winner, Best Puzzles - 2001 XYZZY Awards

IF-Review
First Reviews First
Puzzly though the game is, I was able to solve the whole thing without resorting to external walkthroughs or hints, which is something I almost never do. I had to ask someone after the fact for some information since I won with less than the optimal number of points, but the fact that I got that far at all is a testament to the fact that the game is designed, if not forgivingly, at least with an eye to being comprehensible. There are many points at which you can lock yourself out of victory. On the other hand, there were few puzzles that left me scratching my head and wondering how I was supposed to have read the author's mind. The game is also developed to provide hints; not only can you ask NPCs about topics and get useful nudges, but they will even occasionally volunteer things unsolicited about problems that you've been bashing your head against. The realism of this effect may vary, but as a piece of game design it's excellent, a sort of in-game adaptive hint system woven into the story.
-- Emily Short

It is refreshing to actually be able to do something about the past instead of being told to accept it for what it is. My only real complaint is that the ending leaves a few loose ends, and I think the environmental tone is a bit too obvious. [...] Anybody who wants a good old-fashioned puzzle-filled IF experience, and has some time on their hands should give this one a try.
-- Adam Myrow

Explore a mid-size map over 5 decades. Well-crafted, great puzzles, February 3, 2016
First Things First was nominated for an XYZZY award for Best Game, and won Best Puzzles, among others.

In this game that starts out very slowly, you quickly progress to an interesting situation similar to A Mind Forever Voyaging or Lost New York, where you can investigate a mid-size map over 50 years using a time machine. Your actions in certain time periods strongly affect the future in interesting ways.

This is definitely the best long-form time travel I have played, as I felt Lost New York (which explores New York over a century or two) had relatively unfair puzzles.

IFDB has version 3.0, but the walkthrough is for 1.1, so it didn't work in places. I am a walkthrough junkie, so it was hard for me to beat it, but I was able to guess from the walkthrough what I should try next, and eventually worked my way through it.

The game has good characters, beautiful settings, and a bit of a confused plot, which is natural given the main gameplay mechanic.

For simulation fans, it has an interesting money/bank account/investment system.

Strongly recommended for everyone. (Note: the first area seems incredibly boring, but it gets better and better. I started to like the game as soon as I made it into (Spoiler - click to show)the garage.)

Excellent game, January 11, 2015
Good story, good puzzles, good implementation of verbs, hints are given when appropriate.
Actually, I only have a very small criticism to make: in at least two situations, we can get definitely stuck without knowing it. The first case is when trying to take (Spoiler - click to show)the miracle-grow jugs in the worksheet one by one, then the game only says "you should have done this when you had the chance", but lets you continue, which is ambiguous. More generally, one object is essential to the game, and should not be disposed off too early in the game, which is not very clear at first ((Spoiler - click to show)the wheelbarrow). The second case is when (Spoiler - click to show)you jump into the window without anticipating on how to get out after that. I think it would have been nice if the game had said something like "you should have thought of this before doing that, now you seem to be stuck".

If you enjoyed First Things First...

People who like First Things First also gave high ratings to these games:

Broken Legs, by Sarah Morayati
A blurb? They expect you to write? You're Lottie Plum so you're not going into writing. You sing. And dance and act up a storm while everyone else can only manage a puddle. You belong at Bridger. No matter what it takes.

We Are Unfinished, by Ade McT
The last of the day's light is fading. And, without light, how can he see? A very short piece of Interactive Fiction for the TinyUtopia jam.

Fourdiopolis, by Andrew Schultz
A sequel to Threediopolis. It has teleporters!

First Things First appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Big, non-linear adventure games with score system by MathBrush
These are classic-style games, where you have to collect a large variety of objects while exploring a cave or building. My favorite way to play these games is to start playing without hints, mapping out the world and seeing what all I...

Forgotten Treasures of IFDB by MathBrush
These are games that are great, either in my opinion or in many others, but which have been forgotten. By forgotten, I mean it satisfies the following: 1. Not an IfComp or XYZZY Best Game winner, 2. Not in Best 50 Interactive Fiction...

Noteworthy Games Which Can't Be Played on iOS or the IFDB by Walter Sandsquish

The following polls include votes for First Things First:

Games with unique hint systems by delano
I'm looking for games that offer hints in any way, except for printing them in sequence on the screen. For example: characters that offer hints; objects that, when examined or used in a certain way, suggest actions to the player; etc.

Games about Time Travel by Estrong157
more specifically, games with time travel as a gameplay element.

Humble Beginnings by Floating Info
What are some games that start off with the PC in a regular situation but turn into something different? This would include a regular person finding a portal to a fantasy world, or a regular person already in a fantasy world abruptly...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 20 April 2013 at 4:25am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item