Created for the Jay is Games - Casual Game Play Design Competition #7
Play online at Jay Is Games
Hoosegow (z8 format)
Z8 file of Hoosegow, latest version.
Hoosegow (zblorb format)
The latest version of Hoosegow in zblorb format.
Walkthrough Documents
A zip file containing a text walk through document and a pdf that shows the structure of the game, the puzzles that need to be solved, and their interdependencies.
(Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Hoosegow

by Ben Collins-Sussman profile and Jack Welch

Western
2010

Muddy's plan done landed you and your partner in the hoosegow. Now you're fixing to rectificate the matter before the marshal introduces you to the business end of a hangin' rope at dawn.

Created for the JayIsGames Casual Game Play Competition #7.

First Publication Date: February 1, 2010
License: Creative Commons
IFID: 27AA9418-5BCB-43DB-8FD7-DA363734D23A
TUID: p2bxy33newzb930t

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Implementation - 2010 XYZZY Awards

1st Place - Casual Gameplay Design Competition #7

Gaming Enthusiast
The plot is rather simple, but entertaining, especially because of the “local flavour”. There’s a lot of Southern slang in the game – from “that ain’t no verb I got knowledge of” to “is you talking plain English?” – which strengthens the immersion and boosts up the fun factor.
-- Toddziak

Jay Is Games
Tag team champions Ben Collins-Sussman and Jack Welch have created a wonderful thing in Hoosegow. It's fun, funny, and guaranteed to bring out the cowpoke in you. (A dusty, bumbling, thieving cowpoke, but a cowpoke nonetheless.) A workout for your imagination as well as your problem-solving skills, Hoosegow is a challenging escape for those of you who have always wanted to ride off into the sunset. Sort of.
-- Dora

It's these elements that make up for a backstory that doesn't necessarily have as much traction as it could and a series of puzzles that have often-hilarious but just-as-often-repetitive solutions. This is a game that's easy to picture but occasionally surprises you, almost always in ways that make you smile, and which is relatively easy to get immersed in. It also provides a surprising amount of gameplay and a reasonable amount of depth for a single-room escape game that requires no notes or mapping, especially when compared to the other games in the competition. I think that it's mostly the charm and lighthearted fun of the game that has earned it all the kudos it's received.
-- Irfon-Kim Ahmad

Old-fashioned fun with very good writing, February 20, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
The most impressive aspect of Hoosegow is undoubtedly the writing: from the title (an Anglicisation of a Mexican-Spanish word for "jail") to the character's speech and the narration, the language is perfect for the Western atmosphere the authors set out to establish. (Spoiler - click to show)(The fact that the game is set in the period after the Civil War, while "hoosegow" was first found in English in 1908, is something the reader will either not notice or not care about.) Funny asides, believable interactions between the characters, physical situations described clearly, and as icing on the cake a set of hilarious episodes: everything works. Reading this game is a pleasure.

It puts you in the shoes, or rather the smelly boots, of a Civil War deserter turned train robber, whose partner Muddy has once again gotten them both into big trouble. You will have to escape from the local sheriff's cell before they hang you in the morning -- a time limit that is implemented, but that is so relaxed that I doubt anyone trying to solve the game will come up against it. Complementing the cast of characters are a drunken preacher who randomly bursts out in apocalyptic oratory, a sheriff with the ambition to become an inventor, a deputy sheriff with the ambition to imbibe a lot of alcohol, a nasty dog, and a well-meaning but strict marshal.

Hoosegow is not a very innovative game: you will spend your time solving puzzles that fit perfectly in the tradition of interactive fiction. (If your previous game was Rover's Day Out, you can afford to be a little traditional.) These puzzles are well-clued and not overly difficult, and some problems can be solved in more than one way. For those of us (including me) who nevertheless become slightly stuck and are not eager to spend a lot of time on these somewhat old-fashioned puzzles, there are very good in-game hints and a very helpful PDF-file with the basic structure of the puzzles. (Resize the window of your PDF-reader so that you only see the top of the page, then scroll down until you find something you have not solved yet.)

This game doesn't offer anything that will blow you away, but it does offer a lot that will give you pleasure. Recommended.

It ain't bad I recon, December 13, 2010
by Aintelligence (Canada)
I was pleasantly surprised by this adventure. Taking place in a jail called hoosegow, after you were arrested by the sheriff, the story is that you have to get out of the jailhouse before your hanging tomorrow.

This game, like a few others, has a real spin on the classic speech. In everything the characters did, "scruffy, unshaven, slippery, uneducated cowboys In tattered vests" were written all over them. The author used southern slang for just about everything from "that ain't no verb I got knowledge of" to " is you talking plain English?" which significantly added to the style and story of the game.

The story is not, however, a simple 'escape the room' sort of game in which the puzzles are simple, but these puzzles involve a lot of logic, thinking and a little bit of guess the verb. I would say the puzzles were mainly fair, but there were a few spots I got hung up on because the solution was slightly obscure. However, if you really think of the puzzles in a really 'cowboy' way, they should not be too hard. What was hard though, was the numerous places where you had to play guess the verb, or even worse, guess the noun. Some spots could really use some more real editing. It really took away from the gameplay, I think, because I would get stuck in places where advance was impossible without the magic verb.

Good, but should have been great., August 8, 2010
by lagran-G-an (Tel-Aviv, Israel)
Related reviews: hoosegow
Hoosegow is a well written and fun escape the room game. Unfortunately the flow of the experience is ruined by bugs, parser problems, and some annoying 'guess the verb' situations. All of these give the game an Unpolished feel.

The writers of this game did a very good job of implementing the setting of the game, A western comedy, and giving the game a "living" feel. The writing for the descriptions, and the PC are all very good. A simple but effective example comes the great replacement of IF default responses. "You reckon violence usually is the answer, but maybe not just now.", or "That ain’t no verb I got knowledge of.".One place the game did come short is the NPC side-kick, Muddy, which seemed kind of lifeless and lacked some responses.

The puzzles were easy-medium and well designed ((Spoiler - click to show)I thought the last puzzle with the marshal was redundant ). The problem with the game is that I encountered a few annoying bugs and a few nouns/actions were not well implemented, leaving some the puzzles a bitter taste of 'guess the verb'. (Spoiler - click to show)For a bug example: in some parts of the game, for some reason the 'it' verb does not work well (after hitting the wall, touch it gives the response for the gate.) An example of poor implementation: When you need to take the feather from the vulture pulling the tale does not do the trick, instead you have to "take feather" which doesn't seem to make too much sense. Another example, is when you try to climb the window after muddy gets tired, the response makes no sense.

In conclusion, hoosegow is a good game, that just isn't polished enough.

If you enjoyed Hoosegow...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Hoosegow, or gave both high ratings:

Gun Mute, by C.E.J. Pacian
Step into the shoes of Mute Lawton, a lone cowboy who must stop an execution set to occur at noon by shooting his way past dangerous cyborgs and mutants in a post-apocalyptic western setting. (From the IndieGames.com review.) Gun Mute is...

Möbius, by J.D. Clemens
Another mission. Just when you had settled in for a nap.

The Horrible Pyramid, by Ryan Veeder
Something weird is going on in this pyramid.

Hoosegow appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Must try by Kku2611
I am new to IF and collect all of the recommended games under a list for future consulting.

my favorites by namekuseijin
Everyone got theirs, here are mine. They're in no particular order and feature varying difficulty and/or size. Every single one is great. I also have my favorite authors and I'm biased towards their IF. Good thing this is my favorites...

The following polls include votes for Hoosegow:

Looking for a good Western. by Bishopofbasic
Howdy everyone, I'm on the hunt for a good western text adventure or IF depending on how you call it. Something, that's quite fun to play. The year of release doesn't matter to me. Just looking for some great games to sink my teeth into....

NPCs Made Easy by Sam Kabo Ashwell
A list of games which notably use elision, sleight-of-hand, cleverly framed premises, or other fiendish implementor tricks in order to include significant NPCs in the story without having to implement them in deep, complicated detail....

games with great interactivity by nick love
I want a game with a great variety of interactiveness. I want it to be challenging but fun and comedic.

This is version 14 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 21 September 2013 at 6:05am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item