Download from itch.io
For Windows, Mac, and Linux

What Isn't Saved (will be lost)

by Cat Manning

Zoe is a neuroscientist who's researching methods of resurrecting the dead… by rebuilding them from their memories. When her girlfriend Sara dies, Zoe uses her experimental technology to save her--but there isn't enough room to save all of Sara's memories. You must choose which ones will be saved, and which ones will be lost.

• Indiecade Selection 2017

First Publication Date: February 23, 2018
License: Commercial
TUID: p0gpa2mt0f6xvsj0

Beautiful & haunting., March 11, 2018
Disclaimer: I'm friends with everyone credited on this game, and married to the sound designer, so I'm as far from unbiased as one can be. But this is common among intfic circles, so.

In What Isn't Saved, Zoe, a neuroscientist, tries to salvage the memories of her recently deceased partner, but there's only so many that can be saved.

It's a gut-wrenching task—memories explode into other memories, a book you can only quickly skim. It reminds me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, when Joel dashes through his disappearing memories. Structurally, it also reminds me of Sam Barlow's Aisle in that, instead of lightly exploring the story's boundaries, each choice cuts the narrative space with garden shears.

There's a sinister, desperate note to every choice in What Isn't Saved that mirrors the anxiety we often feel in romantic relationships, about the effect we have on those we're closest to. Of course, I wanted to rebuild Sara's memory of her and Zoe's first kiss. But what about her memories of Zoe's flaws?

Being in Zoe's shoes, I felt uneasy and invasive, and questioned my own motives when I made decisions about why certain memories were important or not. The story handles these choices with the weight they deserve—there's no hope in this task, just compounding doubt and worries.

There are many aesthetically beautiful games made with Twine, and What Isn't Saved is among them. The confusing way pronouns flicker inside the memories made me kick the dirt and cuss, because I wish I'd done similar for the shared consciousness scenes in Mama Possum.

If you enjoyed What Isn't Saved (will be lost)...

People who like What Isn't Saved (will be lost) also gave high ratings to these games:

my father's long, long legs, by michael lutz
A weird tale. Some parts make use of sound, so this game is best played with headphones. One ending.

Birdland, by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
Fourteen-year-old Bridget's summer camp experience takes a turn for the bizarre when her otherworldly bird dreams start bleeding into reality.

Another Day in Seething Bay, by Lisa Shininger
"What ever went wrong on a Monday?" A cash-strapped lunar colonist struggles to get through another day of faceless corporate drudgery.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 28 February 2018 at 3:16pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item