10pm

by litrouke profile

Slice of life

10pm, and dinner is still sitting in the oven.

The TV is droning. The front door is closed.

You look at the clock.

You look at the door.

You wait.

---

Content warnings: profanity, allusions to sex and violence, very unhealthy parenting.

Contains sound.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: ounzy4c3dxffjr5

23rd Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

A fancy symbol-sliding game, November 16, 2017
This game has you speak completely in symbols.

You are bird, a child living with a single male named Ty. Ty has problems, and so do you.

You communicate with Ty completely in symbols. What this means in-game is never explained.

This story didn't grab me, but the presentation was slick, and it's a game worth replaying. Sometimes technical stuff is enough to impress me on its own; however, the author has a great knack for characterization as well.

Guess-The-Symbols!, October 6, 2017
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
Related reviews: guess-the-verb, IFComp 2017
guess what? I very much prefer the interactions-dialogues via graphical symbols - quite easy actually as you only have to choose between 2 pairs or so, in contrast to old time guess-the-verb - in this game than the actual text, spelled-out in god-slow typing animation, which seems made for small children or retards and really goes like:

The TV is droning. The front door is closed.

You look at the clock.

You look at the door.

You wait.

Grunk would be pleased. I didn't and gave it a 3 for the originality in the new take on guess-the-verb... and guess what? 3 there might well be about 2 or 1 here...

seriously, each year IFComp comes shockful with kids more illiterate than in previous years. Why even try to make a text game in the first place when you can't or don't like to write or read?

How about dropping the games and reading a good old book to learn how to actually write?

If you enjoyed 10pm...

People who like 10pm also gave high ratings to these games:

Captain Connie's Ejactor Seat, by Andrew Watt
Here you are, strapped to the captain's chair, about to play a very dangerous game. If you win, you get to fuck Connie. If you lose, she blows you out the airlock. The entire crew has played this game. Connie has won every time.

Niney, by Daniel Spitz
Explore the nature of relationships and identity on a weird train. Author's Comment: "We all ask ourselves, "Who am I?" One of the ways we try to answer this question is by examining the effects we have on other people. We look at our...

Scars, by Olivia Dunlap
A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by litrouke on 3 December 2017 at 2:19pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item