Competition Version

The Little Lifeform That Could

by Fade Manley

A little microbe in the primordial ooze has grand dreams! Dreams of survival, by and large, but small goals lead to large ones. Can you climb your way out of the ooze onto the land, into civilization, and up to the stars? And by the time you reach space, will you be wearing the fanciest of all fancy hats?

[This game file can be opened and run with any browser, but tends to work best in Firefox.]

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Current Version: en
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: omoe3fglijlnri13

20th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The text bits are all very short and perky. I liked the affectionate humour. This is clearly meant to be a lighthearted romp, and I'm not sure if there is a way to "lose".

Like EVO, with hats!, November 3, 2016
by Audiart (Davis, CA)
While technically IF, "Lifeform" is more like an online teen survey ("What is Your Inner Spirit Animal?" "Which Gilligan's Island Character Are You?") than anything else. Except that, unlike a teen survey, it is funny, well written, and not a complete waste of time. Although it's a hypertext game, it is not tedious like the Twine genre and is ultimately an enjoyable, quick, puzzle-less diversion worth playing once or twice if you feel like something light. Or you could fill out a Meyers Briggs Test. The results may be remarkably the same.

It's a choice-game of life, October 25, 2016
by Owlor (Sweden)
This game owes a lot to Spore, but where Spore disappointed me by being shallow versions of a bunch of genres strung together, this is much more cohesive and consequently, I actually prefer it to spore. It has a similar sense of humor, though it is written with a very modern informal tone that might be hit and miss for people. Speaking only for myself, however, it was right up my alley and I very much recommend it.

Spore in choicescript, with hats, May 9, 2017
This is a choicescript game with several short chapters and 2 longer chapters that involve cycling through similar events.

You start out as a small being in primordial ooze, then grow into a creature, then a tribe, a city, and a spacefarer.

The game is well polished and has a consistent tone that's not bad. Some of the cycling of similar options seemed a bit tedious at the end.

Overall, I would put it in the top half of the competition.

If you enjoyed The Little Lifeform That Could...