ECTOCOMP 2010 entries
Contains headless.taf
.zip contains all entries from ECTOCOMP 2010. This game's file is headless.​taf.
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

I Was a Teenage Headless Experiment

by Duncan Bowsman profile

2010

"... but he has the element of surprise and a bonesaw, and you do not."

You are your decapitated head standing on a metal tray in a mad doctor's laboratory. The doctor's four-armed assistant blocks your escape.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2010
Development System: ADRIFT
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFID: ADRIFT-400-DEA50EBEC83D7A4A4F3C879F61D76FA6
TUID: obw5m2lhlqbwc59m

4th Place - Ectocomp 2010

ADRIFT Forum
(reviews from ECTOCOMP 2010 judges)

Small scale grand guignol fun, February 15, 2012
by Wade Clarke (Sydney, Australia)
Related reviews: ADRIFT 4, ADRIFT, horror
This comic horror mini-adventure was written in three hours for Ectocomp 2010, and fits a clever central conceit and a great 'Aha!' moment into a handful of locations.

The game begins with your head being sawed off by an evil bad guy and placed on a table. To speak more explicitly on the content in this review would, unfortunately, amount to game-wrecking, given the petite size of Headless, but what I do particularly like about this game is that it doesn't fall down that speed IF hole of being overreaching and underimplemented. Headless's design is totally amenable to the format's logistical restrictions, and the game has a good trick that's fun to work out. This is one "they done sawed my head off" game I am not shy about recommending to the non-squeamish and sundry.

A nutcase to remember, July 7, 2013
by Jim Kaplan (Jim Kaplan has a room called the location. The location of Jim Kaplan is variable.)
Related reviews: duncan bowsman
Play it if: a tiny, smartly-written distraction sounds attractive.

Don't play it if: if, well, it doesn't.

I never know quite how to approach ratings for Speed IF games. I think it's generally agreed that the general "quality" standards for the Speed IF process are lower (at least in terms of depth and scope). So a game like this, while very good for the format, is rather light when considered as a game in and of itself. Do I rate it high, putting emphasis on the circumstances under which it was written? Or do I rate the game and not the writer?

In this case, at least, I figure I'll split the difference and give it a 4.

Though it has enough puzzles for Django Reinhardt to count on his left hand, I Was A Teenage Headless Experiment makes its short length count and gives the player that nice "aha" moment the ideal puzzle should produce. Outside of that, there's a nice level of light macabre humor (the number of terrible head-based puns is thankfully kept to a minimum). A comfortable and memorable distraction.

Quick and fun. Play it!, February 1, 2012
by DCBSupafly (USA)
This piece is one of my favorite IF works ever. It's quick but carefully full-featured considering it's speed IF. Puzzles are original and easier than many IF puzzles. It's humorous while also a little grotesque. Its initial gimmick inspires a "Eureka!" moment for even the n00biest of players. It implements and extends the tried and true IF tropes of the out-of-body experience, cardinal direction navigation, and the mystery of darkness. Multiple endings is the icing on the cake.

I recommend this to everyone, especially those very familiar with old-school adventures and those totally unfamiliar with IF. Play this.

If you enjoyed I Was a Teenage Headless Experiment...

People who like I Was a Teenage Headless Experiment also gave high ratings to these games:

Marika the Offering, by revgiblet
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a young girl, trapped in a tower room and in fear for her life.

Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom, by S. John Ross
In the cruel kingdoms north of the Viraxian Empire, a barbarian seeks treasure - and vengeance! Having escaped the clutches of the Slaver King, he has vowed to pillage the wealth of the kingdom ... then bring it to its knees. YOU are...

The Count, by Scott Adams
"It begins when you awake in a large brass bed in a castle somewhere in Transylvania. Who are you, what are you doing here and WHY did the postman deliver a bottle of blood? Converted from original code by Paul David Doherty." [--blurb...

The following polls include votes for I Was a Teenage Headless Experiment:

Speed IFs that are awesome by trojo
Expectations for Speed-IFs are generally low, but sometimes games written as Speed-IFs are in fact awesome-- not just "awesome for a Speed IF" but truly worthwhile. List some favorites here.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by DB on 8 August 2011 at 10:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item