The World Turned Upside Down

A cosy, gritty New Year's vignette, March 23, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic
[Time to completion: 10-15 mins]

A New Year's Eve offering from Bruno Dias, set in the same world as Cape and Mere Anarchy.

When I played this for the first time, I had barely played the games referenced here, so why did it appeal so much to me? It's something about being a refuge from chaos, a safe place where those who put things right can rest - for now. The characters are weary, but at peace.

Its size and scope are kept deliberately small: the verb set is pared down to three verbs; the setting, to one room. But that one room suggests an entire world - one the player gets to know through its people rather than its locations. For a New Year’s Eve story, The World Turned Upside Down doesn’t point so much to hope for the year ahead, as it does to the fixing of past wrongs.

Disclaimer: I identify, to a frightening extent, with one of the characters.

- Denk, January 15, 2017

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), January 1, 2017

- zeartless, April 10, 2016

A short parser game tying in the authors other games, April 5, 2016

This game is a short amusement that ties in a few elements from the author's different games. As far as I know, this is the author's only parser game.

It has a small command set, requiring only Examine, Look, and Interject. You are a bar owner around Christmas time when an irregular regular comes into the bar with a crazy project.

Overall, I recommend this game for fans of any of Bruno's games.

- E.K., December 27, 2015