Blorb file
Play on a browser.

The World Turned Upside Down

by Bruno Dias profile

Christmas

It's just shy of closing time on the last Saturday before Christmas; only a handful of regulars left in the bar. Peaceful, even, in spite of all of the city's damage.

And then he walks in with some messed-up story about a costumed vigilante.

A Mere Anarchy/Cape Christmas Special.

First Publication Date: December 24, 2015
IFID: 4993BEB1-68AB-4623-AEAD-A50C4419CE9D
TUID: o89pnw94ll1t3z9k

Makes reference to Mere Anarchy, by Bruno Dias
Makes reference to Cape, by Bruno Dias

Followed by sequel Not All Things Make It Across, by Bruno Dias

Well-written short piece with a sense of more, December 27, 2015
The World Turned Upside Down is well-written and rather short; it seems to build on the worlds depicted in Cape & Mere Anarchy, but I didn't feel the connection.

The world-building is as spare as it is in Mere Anarchy, and it's effective at creating the sense of something deeper; however, this work seems to struggle to create a sense of character, which surprised me after the success of Anarchy & Cape in creating a very believable protagonist and side characters. The side characters are interesting and I want to know more about them, or see what they think about the main interaction between the protagonist and the visitor, but we don't get to, and I can't help but feel that we're missing an important chance to learn more about the story and the experience.

You are immediately informed that you can finish the game with only 3 commands; wait, interject, and examine. Examine gives slightly more context, and interjecting vs waiting changes the ending, but I couldn't really understand the motives or outcomes here. I played through Cape & Mere Anarchy thinking I was missing some crucial context, but I didn't find it. I may have missed something important, but I was left with the sense of an unfinished vignette that takes place somewhat related to the other two stories; I could see this story as a unifying episode establishing a link between the other two, or as simply a side story in the same world.

Ultimately, the story-telling is good, the writing is solid, and I recommend this short game; I'm looking forward to whatever comes next & hope that we can learn more about the characters and situations in this world.

A short parser game tying in the authors other games, April 5, 2016
This game is a short amusement that ties in a few elements from the author's different games. As far as I know, this is the author's only parser game.

It has a small command set, requiring only Examine, Look, and Interject. You are a bar owner around Christmas time when an irregular regular comes into the bar with a crazy project.

Overall, I recommend this game for fans of any of Bruno's games.

If you enjoyed The World Turned Upside Down...