ludite.z5

Lurk. Unite. Die. Invent. Think. Expire.

by Ryan Stevens

Surreal
1999

"Morning seems strange, almost out place." [--blurb from Competition '99]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-990930-0874
TUID: ny9rngelpxn8jm8d

35th Place - 5th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1999)

More Rybreadness, but there really isn't much here--just a few rooms without much to do. Even those that appreciate Rybread's work, for whatever reason, probably won't find much to enjoy in this one.

-- Duncan Stevens

So yeah, things are spelled right. And probably there will be some people who love this game. But me, I just don't get it. None of it really makes much sense to me, and its hallucinatory qualities only hold my interest for a few minutes. I thought at first I was just stuck on the door puzzle, and I was going to present L.U.D.I.T.E. as Exhibit B for the argument in favor of including walkthroughs or hints with comp games. Then I noticed that Rybread had left the debug feature on, so I just looked at the game's object tree to see if I was missing anything. Turns out I wasn't. I tried jumping to a couple of other objects that looked like they might be rooms, but those objects lacked description properties. So what you see is, more or less, what you get. And what you get is not much, and what there is of it is really weird.

The shortest Rybread Celsius game. Short and dreamlike, February 9, 2016
Rybread Celsius was just ahead of his time; he would have fit in well with B Minus Seven, paperblurt, or especially Soda51. His game are nonsensical, poorly spelled, and badly implemented, but somehow occasionally sublime.

Here is a writing sample from this game:

"The ceiling takes the brunt of this cacophony, letting only the occasional squealing triode echo back towards the floor only to be squelched by its own impenetrable membrane."

This game has four locations and no way to end it, as far as anyone has found. His last game.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 2 May 2008 at 3:33pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item