The current Twine edition of the game.
Escape.zip
Contains Escape.gam
The 2006 TADS2 edition of the game.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Escape from the Crazy Place

by J. J. Guest profile, Loz Etheridge, and friends

Surreal
2006

You've been locked in a padded cell for no obvious reason with only a deranged hamburger-eating clown for company. The cell doesn't even have a door. So begins an adventure that will take you to many places including custard-filled caverns, the world's worst Indian restaurant, the planet Venus, and the inside of a cereal packet. You'll meet such strange characters as the peculiar Plugalug, the mysterious Cow of Honour, Rampateuay of the Hills (a prophet who predicts things he's about to do) and the sinister Boss.

Can YOU make it alive through the forest of the Ostrich People? Fathom the mysteries of the marmalade satnav? Survive the mutiny on the 'Milky Way'? Discover why you have ham on the brain, ham on the brain, ham on the ham on the ham on the brain? Can YOU escape from the Crazy Place?

A 90,000 word choice-based game, Escape from the Crazy Place has been in production on and off since it began in manuscript form back in 1984. An interactive round-robin story, it combines the talents of around 20 different authors. Some wrote just a page or two, others wrote dozens.

The current TWINE version includes around 450 new passages by J. J. Guest, Loz Etheridge and Mark Bailey. The game will continue to grow as we add more.

"Like the twisted literary lovechild of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Homsar, Escape From the Crazy Place is quite possibly one of the funniest things I've ever touched!" Ryusui - rec.arts.int.fiction.

"I've been playing your online Escape from the Crazy Place for the last half hour and I have to say it's... well, the best damn thing I've ever seen ever." Sprite - The Adrift Forum.

IFID: TADS2-1415249CDF932B1F970D3549A5DDEE72
TUID: ny5d87fqbeh3pnuz

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Irritating and unfunny
... The admittedly bug-free play reads like something written by a 13 year old.
... The play, the “puzzles” (such as they are) and the illustrations are simple,
sophomoric and pointless.

Rown the dabbit-hole., April 13, 2017
I've played "Escape from the crazy place" on and off since I was introduced to it about 6 years ago and every time I'm in I find odd new locations and mix-ups, mashups and reminders of our mortality.

I've had tantalisingly close moments of near-escape but the path is long, absurd and complex, like life itself.

It's often laugh-out-loud fun regardless and new releases get new branches and storylines, so I'll keep on searching for a way out.
The deeper I go, the better it gets.

Great fun, January 12, 2015
by Bad Dog Studios
Related reviews: cyoa, tads
This is a surrealist gem.

I've never beaten it, despite spending some time on it, but the remarkably surreal world kind of sucks you and drags you along.

Normally I dislike CYOA games as they tend to offer small variations on a theme, but this was created over a long period of time and is HUGE and so constantly offers something fresh.

If you enjoyed Escape from the Crazy Place...

People who like Escape from the Crazy Place also gave high ratings to these games:

The Endling Archive, by Kazuki Mishima
Browse the Endling Archive to uncover the purpose of its creation.

Undo, by Neil deMause
You're almost at the end of that adventure game you've struggled so hard to beat, when things get a little crazy....

Taco Fiction, by Ryan Veeder
Taco Fiction is a game about crime.

The following polls include votes for Escape from the Crazy Place:

Less-linear Twine Games by Nathaniel
Twine (or other hypertext) games where your decisions make a significant difference, and the story changes significantly based on them (not just resulting in your death).

I'm looking for a great surreal game. by Bishopofbasic
It's pretty hot up here in Canada and I was wondering if anyone knew of any great surreal type games. Something I can spend my time in front of the AC or in my office hiding from the world. Thanks you guys.

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

This is version 24 of this page, edited by J. J. Guest on 11 June 2017 at 7:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item