Contrition

by Porpentine profile

Someone is whispering behind your back: "She used to be the greatest thief in Contrition, until..."

First Publication Date: December 13, 2014
TUID: ny55g5epm7eldub5

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
Contrition blurs the distinction between object-manipulation gameplay and internal-emotion gameplay, and thatís extremely interesting to see.

Another for the fans, I guess?, February 22, 2015
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
Anyway, you got your typical Porpentine urban/medieval/futuristic dirty/slimy/barren wasteland which reveals itself interestingly by adding interaction words to a menu as you explore. If you LISTEN in the first area, that lets you GOSSIP and then SKULK, and you have access to an increasing list of areas where you can LISTEN, GOSSIP, and SKULK and acquire new buttons like KEY and DEVOTION and HORROR. Basically each one of these is potentially a sensory description of the location you are in and an action, but you won't know until you click, and it doesn't matter because there's not much you're going to do wrong by just clicking. Getting new interaction words and then revisiting locations where you didn't have them before is the bulk of exploration. I never felt like I was doing anything intelligently with this, just click every interaction, find a new area, go to that one and click every word, loop back if I have a word I didn't try in an original area. I like this as a prototype for a larger work.

Porpentine excels at visceral imagery and making Twine do what she wants. I don't think she's interested in story cohesion or character development. Perhaps it's a flavor you either get or you don't, and this type of thing over and over is obviously not intended for me. I appreciate and admire the imagination and HTML skills that go into her works, but I don't feel in any way affected at the end as many other people are. Does that make me a monster?

A keyword based surreal twine game, August 22, 2016
This twine game is inspired by Pacian's Weird City Interloper. In both games, you use keywords in different locations to advance the story.

In this game, you have a few locations, and an inventory. Both are dynamic. You move to a new area and use a new item. Being porpentine, the inventory includes things like emotions.

Overall, the mechanic was nice, and the vaguely futuristic surrealism worked for me. However the overall gameplay turned into repeatedly cycling through the inventory in every location, hoping for something to pop out. An interesting experiment

If you enjoyed Contrition...

People who like Contrition also gave high ratings to these games:

Thanksgiving, by Hannah Powell-Smith
You're twenty-one. It's dark in here. Thanksgiving is a story game about being an anxious student with secrets, meeting your boyfriend's folks for the first time. And being Judged. Play in your browser on most devices.

Skulljhabit, by Porpentine
kind of like Dampe the gravedigger meets Harvest Moon meets Ligotti.

Hello Wordd, by B Minus Seven
You are a sentient subsegment of a new spellcheck program with a few bugs left to squash.

The following polls include votes for Contrition:

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 22 February 2015 at 9:39am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item