Collegio Magazine
Manual, background and hints.
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough and map by David Welbourn.

The Reliques of Tolti-Aph

by Graham Nelson

Not so much an old-school dungeon crawl as an old school Dungeons & Dragons adventure: you are an apprentice mage wandering the streets of a deserted city in search of items, spells and experience. Expect fiendish traps, diabolical puzzles and lots of enemies to slaughter.

First Publication Date: March 1, 2006
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFID: AC736F19-3C4D-461E-9C84-49A759C72F42
TUID: nnhm4yp172oivtd9

The Reliques of Tolti-Aph is the latest game by Graham Nelson, written to showcase some of the new features of Inform 7. It is not traditional IF, rather an RPG with IF elements. It implements a modified D&D engine referred to as Woodpulp & Wyverns (W&W). The implementation of the engine is impressive, but the gameplay itself falls a little short: it fails to adhere to its own conventions and several of the puzzles have unconventional solutions. (Thank goodness for David Welbourn's walkthrough!) It's not balanced, it's not fair, and it can be very frustrating for the player. Play at your own risk!
-- Dark Star

Reviews Exchange

The combat system that is at the heart of the game is pretty cringe worthy. I'm a big fan of RPG on the whole - Baldur�s Game II and Diablo II and Morrowind - but the combat system here is lame. There's not even a proper combat system as such because all that seems to happen is that someone attacks you and you just bang the RETURN key a few times until the combat is over. Exciting it isn�t. During the first combat in the game, between myself and a harpy, I tried doing things like ATTACK HARPY or KILL HARPY only to be told that I couldn�t because I was already in combat. Ho hum. My opinion of the game, already low, sunk a bit further.
-- David Whyld

IF Stuff
Craft In Practice: a detailed game-design analysis of The Reliques of Tolti-Aph
I realize that tastes differ and people like different stuff in IF and all that, but I think that The Reliques of Tolti-Aph is a very, very bad game. Unlike most bad games, it has a perfectly serviceable premise and setting and so on, and of course Graham Nelson is a fine writer. But the actual game design is ghastly.

Charming Unfairness, January 2, 2008
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Related reviews: dungeon crawl, random death, unfair
The Reliques of Tolti-Aph has been given very negative reviews. Reviewers almost invariably tell us that it is a game with unfair puzzles, too much random death and even--gasp--a huge maze; and therefore, frustrating and not fun. Although I would hesitate to call The Reliques of Tolti-Aph a good game, I believe it is charming and fun, but to enjoy it, you need to be in the right mindset.

What mindset is that? The same mindset which you need to appreciate the first edition Dungeon & Dragons scenario's. These scenario's are often insanely difficult and grossly unfair, so your character is almost certain to die. But, hey, rolling up a new character is a matter of 60 seconds, and with your new-found knowledge that behind the second door on the left is a monster that deals 8d10 damage as soon as you enter its domain, you might actually have a chance of finding the fabled gem! And who knows, perhaps you'll manage find out what that magical staff does without losing more than 4 ability points?

This game is unfair. You will die random deaths. So sit back and relax: rolling a new character (so to speak) is not just allowed, it is expected. Enjoy the ride! You will not survive your first play-through of The Reliques of Tolti-Aph. You will not survive the second or the third or even the tenth. But getting further each time is fun; the puzzles actually have solutions (and you can always peek behind the GMs screen, that is, consult a walkthrough); the locations are well-thought out and well-described; and the maze is very cool indeed.

The only places where I feel the GM (that is, Graham Nelson) went beyond the bounds of fair play is with the stone you absentmindedly picked up and the two spells you learn from the gods. Those should have been described in a more explicit manner. The GM shouldn't write on my character sheet when I'm not looking!

If you enjoyed The Reliques of Tolti-Aph...

People who like The Reliques of Tolti-Aph also gave high ratings to these games:

The Meteor, The Stone And A Long Glass Of Sherbet, by Graham Nelson (as Angela M. Horns)
Another day wasted as guest of the Empress, a wretchedly long tour of the breath-taking Boreal Falls, conducted as ever by the Lady Amilia. As if she weren't bad enough, an honour guard of soldiers, their breast-plates red in the setting...

Sentencing Mr Liddell, by I-K. Huuhtanen
"The time has come", the Teacher says, "to talk of many sins: of wives and mums and unloved sons (of where it all begins), and why it's really all your fault, and whether no-one wins."

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It, by Jeff O'Neill
You are standing at the edge of a barren field. A steady wind, having secreted away the topsoil, is now drifting sandy dirt across the plain. A scant sign of life here is a freshly-burrowed molehill on the ground. > MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT...

The Reliques of Tolti-Aph appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Role Playing Games by Dan Welch
When I was a kid, I loved to read actual books that were interactive, such as Choose Your Own Adventure books (e.g. Wizards, Warriors, & You)! You died frequently, and so you simply turned back to page 1 to try again. This list of IF...

The following polls include votes for The Reliques of Tolti-Aph:

Games with good magic system by RedHatter
I'm looking for some games with a good magic system. Doesn't have to be at brilliant as Savoir-Faire but consistency would be nice.

New Game Challenges by tggdan3
User-made challenges for existing IF games meant to make the game harder/more fun

Games with good rpg elements that are if by Zzoro26
I'm looking for a good interactive IF that has good rpg elements

This is version 10 of this page, edited by Shin on 2 October 2016 at 1:55pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item