Game File
Spanish version at Itch.io
Defaults - All Systems Application

Tuuli

by Daurmith and Ruber Eaglenest profile

"The old witch, your teacher MŠkke, is dead. If you want to save your village you'll have to destroy the raiding fleet that's coming. Can you do it, young Lenne-who-would-be-the-witch?"

Cover photo by Benjamin Sloth Lindgreen.

Made during June 2017 for the JAM "Canciones del desierto, la tormenta y el mar". The game is inspired by the song "Tuuli" from the Swedish/Finnish group Hedningarna.

Polished, extended and translated for the 2017 IF Comp.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: ngcuiadqoqzy1yn0

16th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

The Breakfast Review
"Smoked herring on hapankorppu, a small side of viili yoghurt, and strong coffee. Not too heavy, but the flavour of that herring packs quite a punch."

The Short Game
"The writing is very stark and atmospheric... It has the same quality of A year walk. It feels very Scandinavian and dark and cold."

These Heterogenous Tasks

"Itís brief and economical, and this allows it to focus on a very sharp, simple character arc while maintaining a sense of urgency and significance. You can imagine it as the climactic sequence of a substantially longer work Ė but cutting things down to the final act makes a lot of sense. Youíre given just enough time to get an appreciation of the situation and the stakes as the crisis builds."

The Reinvigorated Programmer

"Tuuli is very atmospheric, and that counts for a great deal. Itís the first IF Iíve played in a long time where the writing is actively good, rather than either functional or trying-too-hard. Itís pretty extraordinary that this was not originally written in English, but is a translation. Not only that: the text tells an actual story, and a compelling one at that. It feels convincingly like itís from a very different culture, perhaps because of its Finnish roots."

Templaro

"I enjoyed the rest of the game, and even though I had some difficulty playing it, I thought the gameís overall structure, writing, and atmosphere were strong."

A Colossal Adventure

"The story is a good one, and the atmosphere is strong. It sets its scene and its characters well. If I had any complaints about the writing, itís that this is a heavy story, and maybe not in the way I prefer. Tragedies are all well and good, but I came away from this with more of a vague melancholy than a despair. I prefer my tragedies with a little more bite: this is more on the dreary side."

catacalypto
"Itís suitably haunting, with an evocatively sketched, fascinating setting that I havenít seen much of in interactive fiction."

A haunting Finnish tale of a young witch, November 16, 2017
This game is chock full of atmosphere, with compelling story and writing. Many 2017 IFComp judges found it compelling, and I predict it will receive at least one and probably several XYZZY nominations.

You play as a young witch in a Finnish village whose mistress has died. A dream has haunted everyone in town: a fighting force of strangers is coming in boats.

The game is fairly short, but well-done. There were a few guess-the verb spots, though. Overall, I recommend it.

If you enjoyed Tuuli...