Play online on itch.io

1181

by ricassofiction and notgojira

Cosmic horror

C:\User\█████> "1181 is a twine inspired by the fermi paradox, cosmic horror, and isaiah 34:14."

This twine is just over 6,666 words long, containing 147 passages, 171 links, and multiple endings. It's best played in fullscreen, so please give that a try!

Gail (@notgojira) did the tremendous job of programming this behemoth, figuring out its scripts, and providing its concept & visuals (plus writing a certain exchange near the end) while I wrote the rest. We finished it in ten days for #fermijam, and it was a ton of fun! This was also Gail's first game jam!!!

content warning: there is one potential instance (visually depicted) of unsettling eyeball imagery (though not eye trauma) toward the end of the game.

❝ Her nobles shall be no more, nor shall kings be proclaimed there; all her princes are gone. Her castles shall be overgrown with thorns, her fortresses with thistles and briers. She shall become an abode for jackals and a haunt for ostriches. Wildcats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another; There shall ███████ repose, and find for herself a place to rest. Look in the book of the █████ and read: No one of these shall be lacking, For the mouth of the █████ has ordered it, and ███████ spirit shall gather them there. It is ██████ who casts the lot for them, and with ██████ hands He marks off their shares of her; They shall possess her forever, and dwell there from generation to generation...❞

Do you know what you are?

First Publication Date: September 12, 2016
TUID: nc2ux13h6y5tx1v

Compelling work of cosmic horror with Judeo-Christian overtones, December 29, 2016
This beautiful Twine piece puts you in the perspective of a volunteer at a SETI-like institution. Quickly, things go awry, and strange behavior and a dark secret emerge.

The type is well-designed, and the overall effort feels polished, with a nice use of imagery and visuals. I may be spoiled, but I think some audio component would have elevated the overall effect and increased the atmosphere.

The one quibble I have with the plot and theme is that I don't feel like we have a real chance to connect with the character, which reduces the impact of the overall story. We open with the acknowledgement that we are volunteers at this institute, but we don't understand the work we're doing or the importance of it. Why are we here? Is it for college? Do we really work a day job and come in here at night to do free work for something we don't understand and can't explain? I think the piece would benefit from having a better sense of who we are, why we're here, and how this encounter with a different identity affects us.

Overall, I'd give this piece high marks for atmosphere and tension, particularly in the second act, when physical danger is introduced.

If you enjoyed 1181...