Play online
Competition version

Riot

by Taylor Johnson

Your city is burning.

Parker, a riot control officer, is thrust into the heat of his first riot when one mistake changes everything.

Now he wanders through the bedlam, harbouring a deadly secret.

TUID: myjvms54dtvzmw4h

37th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
In terms of gameplay, that seems to be about exploring the situation. There's no deviation to be had from the story, so it's a rather narrow path from beginning to end, but there are places where we can decide on how to handle different situations. Many of these make little difference to the story as a whole, but are interesting in the immediate present.

A great story concept that could use some tightening, May 9, 2017
Riot is a game that I thought I wouldn't like but which improved as I played it.

It's a longish twine game about a police officer who runs into a sticky situation in a Riot. It uses some basic styling.

The pages are pretty long with binary choices whose effects only carry over to the next page. This isn't necessarily bad; Ash had the same choice structure.

But a lot of the text seemed extraneous. I found myself skimming the text and focusing on the choices. The choices got more compelling as I continued to play, and I enjoyed switching characters later on.

I think that cutting out a lot of the text per page to focus on the raw story could have really helped this piece. I would definitely play another game by this author.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by verityvirtue on 22 November 2016 at 12:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item