Contains Dead Man's Hill.gblorb
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Dead Man's Hill

by Arno von Borries profile

Mutual slaughter in northern France, spring 1916.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2016
TUID: mxoek5y5kaddydj4

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2016

Wade's Important Astrolab
I found Dead Man's Hill to be a thoroughly absorbing experience whose design and programming I admire, even though there's still need for a lot of technical revision. The game satisfies both as a war simulation with measurable mechanics and tactical elements, and as a conceptual piece with overarching ideas about its content.

A game about the horror of war and the battle of Verdun, April 7, 2016
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2016
This is a short, simulation-heavy game. You carry a variety of weapons and command two other soldiers. You are a german in the battle of Verdun, fighting in a French trench. In what is perhaps a mockery of FPS's that glorify war, you can use a bayonet, a spade, a flamethrower, grenades, automatic rifle, etc. and command your followers to equip whatever you want.

I'll put what happens in the game in spoilers, but it's just what you'll discover after playing for 3 or 4 turns:
(Spoiler - click to show)You go around the trench trying to clear it out. As you encounter the french, you stab, burn, or shoot each other to death, with the dying praying in agony or weeping. You keep track of your body count. I've not been able to find any more about the game.</spolier>

Overall, I found the combat mechanics a bit clunky and the game not fun to play, but I believe this is intentional. Reading the INFO text, its clear the author wants to remind us about the truth of war. It was a sobering game, and I believe that author really has something effective here.

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 13 June 2016 at 5:03pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item