glulx format. Version 5, "completed" version.
Hints
Invisiclues style hints in MS Word Document. Hints are highlighted in black, either change text color or change highlighting with highlighter tool.

The Tiny House

by Dan Doyle III profile

2010

Christine comes home from work to her tiny house to find that her son and husband are missing. In searching for clues she discovers a spellbook and must learn various magical spells and go to several different lands to find out what happened to her husband and baby and to go to retrieve them.

This is the author's first work. The work includes some throwback to games such as Zork and Enchanter, including a similar spell system to enchanter, and the game taking place in a small white house, though all the puzzles are unique to the game, the game makes several references to other interactive fiction games. The game is intended to be humerous.

The game is in Glulxe format. The forgivness rating is cruel- it is possible to make the game unwinnable without realizing it until later. There is at least one event which can be potentially missed which is required to complete the game.

The game should be considered of moderate to long length- compare it to the length of Zork I rather than Suveh Nux or other competition games. The writing style is conversational, and it contains an "outfit" system, where NPCs react to you based on the clothes you wear, and a spellcasting system.

Any feedback or suggestions is welcome.

Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: mvun9fc85w2p9oz4

News

Expand all | Add a news item

From the Author

I welcome feedback on the puzzles as well, and can provide any hint information via email dan.doyleiii@gmail.com

The Tiny House Review, April 5, 2010
To begin with, I haven't played many IF games and when it comes to reviewing this is my first. I had a different view of this game because I was one of the tester players and it was my job to find the things that make the game more difficult then intended. The first time I had taken many notes about some of the things that needed to be changed or at least altered/made more clear. After those changes were made I found that my focus went from trying to find the issues to actual enjoyment of the game.

I found the premise interesting and intriguing. The game play was very comfortable and natural in the language. As mentioned in the summary of the game there is a way to make the game unwinnable and I fell right into that path so needless to say that was a frustrating moment of defeat yet a teachable moment.

The interchanging of the clothing made the game interesting in the middle. I enjoyed the different responses the characters had to the clothing. I would like to have seen more of a use for that throughout the entire store rather than just the middle.

Overall I enjoyed the game. It was exciting to see what happened to the baby and husband and the way it was displayed/written made it that way.

An Alright Adventure, September 15, 2010
I wanted more. I liked some of the language, but some basic commands seemed to be missing. Also, some short cuts would have been nice, so that it recognized the full extent of what I wanted to do (a bit more of an expert system).

I also feel like the beginning was a bit lack luster, and it didn't drag me in enough. I mean, couldn't they have gone to a park or something? Showing me that something was amiss would have been good.

Fun, yes -- but uncreative., November 3, 2010
I think that this is a very fun game, perhaps, but the story and play-style is a cliche. My games are criticized for being "typical" of this site -- short and pointless -- but I think there may be too many "typical" of the genre games here.

If you enjoyed The Tiny House...

Other members recommend these games for people who like The Tiny House, or gave both high ratings:

Enchanter, by Marc Blank, Dave Lebling
In Enchanter, the first of a spellbinding series in the tradition of Zork, you are a novice magician whom Fate has chosen to do singlehanded combat with a dark and fierce power. But worldly weapons will avail you naught, for your foe is...

Ideal Pacific Coast University, by NewKid

Arrival, or Attack of the B-Movie Clichés, by Stephen Granade

The Tiny House appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games with a Time Travel Puzzle by tggdan3
Maybe the whole game isn't about time travel, but I really got into some games when they had a time travel puzzle in it- especially when it can be difficult to implement such a puzzle.

The following polls include votes for The Tiny House:

Wandering NPCs by Fredrik
I have always been fascinated with games that have several wandering and independent NPCs, especially when you have the ability to try to order them around. This sets the stage for a game where no one session is like any other, and even...

Games with exceptional clothing systems by Fitzzy
Games of any genre, irregardless of the quality of the game itself, that has an exceptional clothing management system in place.

Outstanding individual puzzles by Jeremy Freese
I'm interested in examples of excellent individual puzzles in IF. In other words: not 'Spider and Web' so much as 'getting out of the chair' in 'Spider and Web'

This is version 12 of this page, edited by tggdan3 on 9 November 2010 at 2:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item