The Endling Archive

by Kazuki Mishima profile

2009

Browse the Endling Archive to uncover the purpose of its creation.

Language: English (en-US)
First Publication Date: February 17, 2009
IFID: GLULX-0-090217-71027D4A
TUID: ms15e48egclycv3

From the Author

I hesitate to call this interactive fiction. It has a much lower level of interaction than "mainstream" IF.

Very Slight, but Haunting, February 19, 2009
by C.E.J. Pacian (England)
If you're anything like me, I'm sure you've enjoyed finding books and computers in IF games that let you wander through a menu of backstory. The Endling Archive is essentially the same thing, only without the containing game. So, yes, it is pretty much just reading static text from a menu that expands after you've select a couple of options.

The Endling Archive strikes me as a good germ of an idea. I'm surprised that I've never played an IF game before that exclusively treated the parser as a fictional computer system, and it seems to me that there should be a wealth of retro-futuristic (or just pretend unix console) hacking games. There aren't however, so for now we'll just have to enjoy this strange and haunting encyclopaedia of things that the future and present have lost.

Oddly moving, June 21, 2013
by verityvirtue (London)
I was confused at first: "Load configuration file?" Well, okay, once I figured out how to start a game, it seemed like a database of little factoids, seemingly unrelated to each other. Then there were the personal notes, which made the unseen narrator an NPC in its own right. Endling tugs on your heartstrings because the triviality of some of the 'files' contrasts starkly with the gravity of the disaster the narrator alludes to.

Even though there is no story in the traditional sense of the word, even though it basically is a bunch of factoids, it is elegantly written, carefully constructed and moved me to tears.

A shortish inform game with an innovative file-tree interface, June 10, 2016
The Endling Archive manipulates Inform 7 in a truly interesting way.

The game treats the player as someone using a database written in the traditional Inform menu system (using N, P, Enter, and Q to navigate). As you read more of the database, more and more becomes unlocked.

The game uses interesting pictures. The story is based on the idea of survivors, the last of their kind. The database starts out with different real-life examples of endlings, and then transitions to different material.

I really enjoyed it, although the ending fell a bit flat. It took 10 or 15 minutes to play.

If you enjoyed The Endling Archive...

People who like The Endling Archive also gave high ratings to these games:

Return to Ditch Day, by M.J. Roberts
It's been a decade since you graduated, but now it looks like you're going to have to solve one more Ditch Day stack.

Ignis Fatuus, by DCBSupafly
Written for Ectocomp 2011.

Barroom Brawl, by Mathbrush
Barroom Brawl is inspired by Super Smash Brothers. Battle multiple NPC's in an all-out brawl! Use PUNCH, KICK, or direction-based smash moves to brawl your way to success!

The following polls include votes for The Endling Archive:

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

Emotional IF by Sorrel
I'm looking for IF that inspires one or more strong emotions in the player an IF that pulls on your heartstrings a little.

Neil Armstrong Commemorative Space Poll by Joey Jones
I'm hankering to play a good space-themed game. That is to say, a game not necessarily set in space, but a game that is in some way about space or our relation to space. Any takers?

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Dominic Delabruere on 15 March 2009 at 10:44am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item