Lost Pig

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 >> | Next | Show All

Fun game!, April 27, 2017
short and moderately difficult. Funny

A silly but deep game. Humorous, but wears thin on replay, February 3, 2016
I played Lost Pig five years ago when I started playing interactive fiction. I remember thinking that it was a wonderful, wonderful game. I loved the humor of the PC, the silly idea of chasing the pig, the contrast of me with the gnome, and the interesting color puzzles.

However, whenever I go to revisit it, I quickly lose interest. The puzzles were fun the first time, but I find little replay value in the game. If you strip away the narrative voice, the puzzles are only slightly above average.

I recommend this game for everyone to play through once, though. The gnome NPC is brilliant. The color puzzle is fun.

Overall, I found To Hell in a Hamper funnier, and the Rogue of the Multiverse. I think this is a great game, but I wouldn't call it the best of all time, as some have.

funny story, January 19, 2016
grunk is lovely

Highly enjoyable and entertaining, January 6, 2016
I played this game as an IF novice and found it to be a great introduction to the (modern version) of the genre.

The game focuses on its puzzles, but there is enough plot to keep it interesting. The use of humour is the game's greatest strength, making the characters memorable and the playthrough feel worthwhile.

Grunk as a beginner IF player, January 3, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
I believe Lost Pig is the ultimate IF for beginners. When you're new to it, you could care less for story, setting, good prose or well rounded characters: all of that takes second place to just poking around and reading the fun responses to your inconsequential actions, even as senseless and puerile actions such as taking the moon. IF Beginners love to act like a dumbass of sorts and Grunk indeed is a spot-on character depicting just that level of caveman thinking intelligent people seem to resort to when first confronted with IF. As satire, Lost Pig works great. As a game, it's a highly polished short title, a zanny first foray into IF.

Some think it helps draw people into IF and kind of glorify it. I don't think the kind of people who immenselly enjoyed all of its well implemented whackyness around a simple goal would be willing to play a more serious IF title where you're required to behave and think as the protagonist would and, thus, being told that most of your senseless actions don't work as that first title promised. Thus, the one IF marvel for short-attention-span people who'll never come back for more.

Brilliant, December 28, 2015
I have never played an IF that made me laugh and cry at the same time. The difficulty getting the pig tempered by the hilarious commands that kept me playing this game. I have never found an IF I have found more entertaining that Admiral Jota's Lost Pig.

Cute Game, April 16, 2015
A small map with deceptively simple puzzles! Just right on the difficulty scale.

Excellent tightly constructed IF, February 25, 2015
by Frank (Salford, England)
Related reviews: XYZZY Comp 2007. Humour. Adventure.
The writer makes excellent use of the game's relatively small world. Questioning the gnome is a joy, and the game accepts a wide variety of responses to encourage experimentation. The pig and Grunk are also well implemented. Furthermore, subtle narrative clues cleverly aid the player. Highly recommended.

Simple, Short and Spectacular, February 18, 2015
I really liked this game. There's only three characters but even the speechless pig was interesting to me. There's only a few rooms but almost all of them are still clear in my head months after I finished the game. The puzzles mostly made sense and the only times I had to go to a walkthrough was because I overlooked something. It's earned the praise it receives.

Interesting characters, sensible puzzles, and just fun to play, January 28, 2015
by besmaller (Portland, OR)
I've played a lot of interactive fiction, and Lost Pig stands out, because it was really fun to play from start to finish. The interactions with the pig and other characters in the game are enjoyable. The descriptions, written from the perspective of your curious, observant, but not-so-literate character, are quite funny. I felt myself sink into the character I was playing very easily. The puzzles were interesting, and made sense. This is a really well designed game.

One puzzle near the end gave me a little trouble, and I was appreciative of a built-in hint system which, invisi-clues style, would only give you as much help as you needed.

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page