Epitaph

by Max Kreminski

idle game about existential risks and the death of civilizations

Language: English (en-US)
First Publication Date: September 12, 2016
TUID: mnyo1k4i0nk9qief

The apocalypse keeps happening, September 13, 2016
My first thought playing this- it's overwhelming. Which is good, I think it's supposed to be overwhelming. Accepting the responsibility of worlds at a time, that's not taken lightly. As I watch governments, species,and religions wax and wain in tandem, I'm too busy plotting the growth of other worlds. I consider letting a world evolve organically, I try teaching worlds to feed themselves first, I try teaching the merits of culture or quality of life, but the end of the world always seems to be moments away. It doesn't matter if they've developed particle physics or artificial intelligence, all it takes is a volcano to initiate an ashen winter. I'm smart here, smart enough to tangentially govern worlds, but that's nothing compared to the powers of the malevolent universe.

Supposedly you can win this game, but how could anyone win? I've caused the deaths of billions playing this, and while they've been given the joys of life itself, who am I to will them into existence?

Overall a fun, thought-provoking, engaging game. I have trouble assigning a numerical value to it, this game has true artistic value, I guess I can only give it five stars in the hopes that more people are exposed to this so they can take new things away from it.

Fun, though evil, September 20, 2016
It was overall a quite fun game, neat to see how the various civilizations evolve, and interesting strategies behind it. It took me about a half an hour to get a successful civilization, the eighteenth or so one did it. Often the civilizations will be wiped out by things beyond your control, whereas at other times you have to balance between a variety of risks.

If you enjoyed Epitaph...