The Challenge
Contains Mangiasaur.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Mangiasaur

by DCBSupafly profile

Historical/Dino Rampage
2011

You are a young dinosaur-like monster who needs to eat everything in sight so you can grow big & strong, gain special powers, and ultimately rule over a tribe of puny humans.

First Publication Date: April 24, 2011
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-ADA058ABE02EFC92A0383DACBB23F543
TUID: mgk7ueugc7vxis

Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2011 XYZZY Awards

1st Place - The Challenge

A shortish ADRIFT game as a dinosaur that absorbs what it eats., February 3, 2016
This is a fun little game where you play a voracious dinosaur that wants to eat everything. When you eat certain items or creatures, you gain new abilities.

It really was a lot of fun going around chomping on everything. It's easy and mindless at first. Then you have to use a bit of strategy to know what to eat first. Then there a few puzzles thrown in, which surprised me, but you are generally hinted in what you should do.

I found two endings, both of which were humorous.

Recommended for those looking for a short (30 min) bit of fun.

And Their Thatched-Roof Cottages, March 9, 2012
An IF implementation of a fairly common videogame trope: eat things to get bigger so that you can eat bigger things. Mangiasaur is a world with the same bright, cartoony colours and magical-logic you'd expect in an early-aughts console game. There are a few notes which come across a shade more darkly, but mostly it's pure entertainment: don't expect involved puzzles, deep content or elegant design, but you will get light humour, satisfying gameplay and occasionally lovely notes of setting.

Adapting videogame mechanics to IF poses a number of problems, and one of the biggest is repetition. IF isn't really well-suited to problems of the 'kill 10 rats' type; the paradigm is hand-crafted, individual scenarios. Mangiasaur takes pretty much the path you'd expect; you don't need to eat a dozen critters to level up, and the challenge is more about finding and identifying your next target, or getting at them with light puzzles. A simple map and a low challenge level maintain a brisk pace.

So: fun, charming. Totally inconsequential, but sometimes that's what you need.

Roar for Moar, August 7, 2011
by DB (Chicago, IL)
Mostly uses one short, primary verb for the easily distracted. Reminiscent of E.V.O.: Search for Eden. Nom, nom, nom-- a yummy treat and a quick play, do try.

If you enjoyed Mangiasaur...