Story file
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links.

Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House

by Anssi Räisänen

Mystery
2011

Known for your text adventure skills, you have been called in for help to reveal the secrets of a locked, abandoned house scheduled to be demolished soon. Can you manage the task bestowed upon you?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
Development System: Alan 3
TUID: lzdflmpfknl8m2u

13th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Nice odd puzzles that won't weird you out., November 19, 2011
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2011
When I saw the name of this game, I was pleased it came up early in my IFComp 2011 random play list, whatever it was about. It turned out to be the sort of thing I like. The puzzles made me laugh, even when I felt they didn't quite work. Most do. And this uses some of what makes text adventures unique.

The only plot in the game is to figure how it's messing with you. There's some back-story about the house getting steamrolled to make way for a mall, but that's mostly for expedience. When faced with the actual first room description, I was immediately jolted. It works.

Another room contains a color-related puzzles with potentially dated, but likeable, puzzles, and the final one--where you have to open a door to leave--may have had opportunities for a few more items, or a more complex interaction. Describing what happens would be a spoiler, but once I learned the rules I was slightly disappointed to learn "is this it?"

These are a lot more complaints than I really voiced playing the game. My emotional reactions were "Oh, neat, you do this--or maybe you do this or that--and I see how this clue should've fit in if I were paying attention." Plot may've gotten in the way of the puzzles, here.

I have to admit, I'd be very glad to write a word-puzzle game this good. And I'm doubly impressed someone wrote it in what is not their native language--and wrote it with very few grammatical errors. I hope Ted Paladin is called into action to navigate a maze or somewhere else that's been "done already," in the future. It'll likely be done differently enough to enjoy.

Slightly above the average 3 stars here. With a hat-tip to the cover art for possibly being stairs that go up or down. It's a cool illusion and captures the ambiguity you need to resolve in the first and last puzzle rooms quite well.

If you enjoyed Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House...

People who like Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House also gave high ratings to these games:

No Time To Squeal, by Mike Sousa and Robb Sherwin
"He thought he saw a pantomime That queried his own deal: He looked again, and found it was A ticket to a meal. He thought he saw infanticide Per chance to make it real. 'I have but one regret,' he said: 'There is no time to squeal!'"...

The Elysium Enigma, by Eric Eve
It was meant to be a routine visit on behalf of the imperial government, just to remind the settlers that the Empire hadn't forgotten them, and if you stick rigidly to the letter of your orders and refuse to use either your eyes or your...

Anchorhead, by Michael Gentry
From wikipedia: "It is loosely based on the Cthulhu mythos. Anchorhead takes place in a New England town by the same name that bears a resemblance to Innsmouth, Arkham, and other fictional towns created by H.P. Lovecraft."

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Wade Clarke on 17 April 2014 at 2:16am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item