Story file
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links.

Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House

by Anssi Räisänen

Mystery
2011

Known for your text adventure skills, you have been called in for help to reveal the secrets of a locked, abandoned house scheduled to be demolished soon. Can you manage the task bestowed upon you?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
Development System: Alan 3
TUID: lzdflmpfknl8m2u

13th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Nice odd puzzles that won't weird you out., November 19, 2011
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2011
When I saw the name of this game, I was pleased it came up early in my IFComp 2011 random play list, whatever it was about. It turned out to be the sort of thing I like. The puzzles made me laugh, even when I felt they didn't quite work. Most do. And this uses some of what makes text adventures unique.

The only plot in the game is to figure how it's messing with you. There's some back-story about the house getting steamrolled to make way for a mall, but that's mostly for expedience. When faced with the actual first room description, I was immediately jolted. It works.

Another room contains a color-related puzzles with potentially dated, but likeable, puzzles, and the final one--where you have to open a door to leave--may have had opportunities for a few more items, or a more complex interaction. Describing what happens would be a spoiler, but once I learned the rules I was slightly disappointed to learn "is this it?"

These are a lot more complaints than I really voiced playing the game. My emotional reactions were "Oh, neat, you do this--or maybe you do this or that--and I see how this clue should've fit in if I were paying attention." Plot may've gotten in the way of the puzzles, here.

I have to admit, I'd be very glad to write a word-puzzle game this good. And I'm doubly impressed someone wrote it in what is not their native language--and wrote it with very few grammatical errors. I hope Ted Paladin is called into action to navigate a maze or somewhere else that's been "done already," in the future. It'll likely be done differently enough to enjoy.

Slightly above the average 3 stars here. With a hat-tip to the cover art for possibly being stairs that go up or down. It's a cool illusion and captures the ambiguity you need to resolve in the first and last puzzle rooms quite well.

A fun little spoof on adventure games with intriguing puzzles, August 1, 2017
This game is very good, similar to Ad Verbum, although I found it underclued and a bit frustrating.

There are three rooms with three challenges (after a brief intro). In the first room,... well, it might be more fun to play through.

Suffice it to say, it's almost like a test for adventurers based on standard IF tropes such as room descriptions, object names, and so on.

There was a sequel in 2017 with similar puzzles, which were also good.

If you enjoyed Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House...

People who like Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House also gave high ratings to these games:

Aotearoa, by Matt Wigdahl
The Fish of Māui. The Land of the Long Cloud. Aotearoa. An entire continent of untamed wilds, and the last place on Earth where dinosaurs still roam. If only you'd come ashore under better circumstances...

Mrs. Pepper's Nasty Secret, by Jim Aikin and Eric Eve
Walking home from school is mostly okay, except for one big problem: Every day you have to pass right by Mrs. Pepper's house. She may not actually be a witch, but she sure acts like one. And now she's stolen your skateboard! Winner of...

Escape From Summerland, by Joey Jones and Melvin Rangasamy
Original Blurb: "In the near future a drone war rages in the skies, but below in Summerland there is only one thought: who's going to feed Jacquotte?" - Take Control of Three Characters each with their own Strengths and Weaknesses! -...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Wade Clarke on 17 April 2014 at 2:16am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item