The Brigand's Story

by Laura Michet profile

"The Brigand's Story is a spooky interactive short story adapted from a nonsense tale that my friends and I used to tell as children."

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: lutwq4rt4szpqwze

Repetitive, engaging Twine-like exploring a scary campfire story, June 18, 2017
(UPDATE: The bug seems fixed; I have revised my star rating to 4 stars. Original review remains below.)
This piece explores a campfire story on repeat, with minor changes in each iteration, as the protagonist realizes the story is repeating. After the build-up and background, the protagonist meets a grisly, horrible end; only to have to do it again, and again, and again.

Some of the repeats work better than others; a few feel more tedious, with less of a pay-off for working through them, but the overall writing is punchy, distinctive, and rewarding. So much so that I was engaged and quite unhappy when I hit a state-ending bug.

The writing was so good that I would rate this higher than 3 stars, but I keep encountering a game-ending bug after my 4th iteration.

Most seem to have made it through to the end, so I'd recommend playing this as-is, and I hope that a new version that fixes the bug I encountered will come out.

If you enjoyed The Brigand's Story...

People who like The Brigand's Story also gave high ratings to these games:

Surface, by Geoff Moore
A Spring Thing 2014 entry. Surface should play in all modern browsers, however Chrome and Safari are recommended as text and image fades may not display properly in other browsers.

Superluminal Vagrant Twin, by C.E.J. Pacian
A text-only space sim. Ply the spaceways. Make five million credits. Buy back your twin. (Superluminal Vagrant Twin is a shallow but broad exploration game.)

Blue Chairs, by Chris Klimas

This is version 1 of this page, edited by B Minus Seven on 4 December 2016 at 1:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item