The Brigand's Story

by Laura Michet profile

"The Brigand's Story is a spooky interactive short story adapted from a nonsense tale that my friends and I used to tell as children."

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: lutwq4rt4szpqwze

Repetitive, engaging Twine-like exploring a scary campfire story, June 18, 2017
(UPDATE: The bug seems fixed; I have revised my star rating to 4 stars. Original review remains below.)
This piece explores a campfire story on repeat, with minor changes in each iteration, as the protagonist realizes the story is repeating. After the build-up and background, the protagonist meets a grisly, horrible end; only to have to do it again, and again, and again.

Some of the repeats work better than others; a few feel more tedious, with less of a pay-off for working through them, but the overall writing is punchy, distinctive, and rewarding. So much so that I was engaged and quite unhappy when I hit a state-ending bug.

The writing was so good that I would rate this higher than 3 stars, but I keep encountering a game-ending bug after my 4th iteration.

Most seem to have made it through to the end, so I'd recommend playing this as-is, and I hope that a new version that fixes the bug I encountered will come out.

If you enjoyed The Brigand's Story...

People who like The Brigand's Story also gave high ratings to these games:

Robin & Orchid, by Ryan Veeder and Emily Boegheim
High school journalists spend the night in a church, investigating reports of a ghost.

16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds, by Abigail Corfman
You're a vampire hunter on your night off. You're getting a manicure, seeing a movie, and eating fast food. But there's a vampire in this McDonalds. If you don't do something, then in one hour it will eat the cashier.

Wildflowers, by Carolyn VanEseltine
"Wildflowers" was written as a "diary game", as defined by Caelyn Sandel - a game that was written specifically for the benefit of the author, rather than being written for an audience. It is properly understood as a game poem rather...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by B Minus Seven on 4 December 2016 at 1:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item