Hexteria Skaxis Qiameth

by Gabriel Floriano

A dinner with your friend. Strange words. Stranger books.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: kn9azneyznpmbwrh

45th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

A game about language and its intrinsic meaning, November 16, 2017
This game is centered around a language or collection of languages that the protagonist is trying to study.

The central mechanic is that you are presented with 3-syllable words that you can alter.

The discussion centers on the idea that language influences our thoughts and actions, and vice-versa.

I liked this game, but it didn't draw me in emotionally.

Nothing to see here, November 14, 2017
Presents the concept that people's thoughts can be shaped by their language. Yes, its the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis as seen in the 2016 film "Arrival". So, what cool narrative does this game wrap around the central idea? Well, none. It simply presents a variation of that idea, gives you some clickable links to play with, and sits back. Job done? Not for me. It needed more than just some nice mock-19th century writing to engage me. A beginning, middle and end would help.

Short and sweet game about fictional linguistics, November 5, 2017
Having encountered a linguistic mystery in a fictional language that intrigues them, the protagonist dives down a rabbit-hole of more mystery. What they discover is up to the reader to interpret.

The piece reminds me of If on a Winterís Night A Traveller (it feels descended from Borges, also, but I am more solid in my Calvino reading). The player is given the ability to manipulate the languages and words to create cryptic sentences, which unfurl further to illuminate (or not) the sentences in question.

As an exploration of fantastical language, itís curious and interesting, but I found myself wanting more. Iíd have been excited to see more about the fictional cultures, their histories and societies, to give the piece more richness. As it is, I found it a clever piece relevant to my interest, but one that didnít leave much of a mark. Iíd love More Of This In My IF, Please, with extra depth and bite.

I think I also need to reread If On A Winterís Night, because Iím having a serious hankering for it.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 16 November 2017 at 11:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item