Six Download Bundle *
Contains Six.gblorb
Also contains Demi's map, illustrated manual, cover image and release history.
Demi's map
Demi's map. Note that the map is already included in the download bundle.
ClubFloyd Transcript
Folks on IFMud played a group game of Release 2 of Six on December 4, 2011. This is a link to the transcript of their game. WARNING: TOTAL SPOILERDOM!
Main Inform 7 Source Code for Six *
Contains six_91_public_source.txt
Main Inform 7 source code for release 4 of Six. The source will not compile because I've deliberately not released the game's multimedia elements or custom extensions for the time being. You'll find the Creative Commons licence for the source release, tech info and other help at the head of the source.

Six

by Wade Clarke profile

2011

Your name is Harriet Leitner, and you and your twin sister Demi turned six this morning! You're having a fancy dress birthday party, and this afternoon you'll be playing Hide and Seek Tip over in the park. You can't wait to catch all your friends.

Language: English (en-AU)
First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 1ECD7C77-ABA2-47EF-8771-CA23193113D3
TUID: kbd990q5fp7pythi

2nd Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best NPCs; Winner, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2011 XYZZY Awards

News

Six updated to Version 3 January 25, 2012
Expand all | Add a news item

IF-Review
Delicious Icing, Even Better Cake
"...The game presents its PC's perspective in a very matter-of-fact way, with very little adult sentimentality attached. The NPCs are well-drawn too, feeling like real children rather than hasty stereotypes. I thought the dialog rang especially true as the parent of a six-year-old myself, I recognized the mix of quirkiness and practicality in the game's characters from my observations of the kids around me..." - Paul O'Brian

XYZZY Awards
Essays on Six's setting, NPCs, implementation and supplemental materials
"Play is also central to Six, a lovingly crafted tale of hide and seek starring (naturally) six six-year-olds. As the birthday girl charged with finding and catching them all, your primary verbs of interaction are SEARCH, CHASE, and TIP (or tag), with some TALKing thrown in for good measure. While minimally painted, each hider has a distinct personality, usually broadcast through their chosen costume and reflected in their manner of speech." - Aaron Reed

A Complete Experience, January 2, 2012
by Joey Jones (UK)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2011, amaaaaaaaaazing
I thought I'd give it a little time before I reviewed Six. Enough time to work out whether it really was worth the five stars I initially gave it. And oh how it is worth it! Just thinking about the game physically fills my heart with joy. As in, I experience a genuine biological sensation of warmth just in the recollection of the game. That's how amazing it is.

In Six you play a girl on her sixth birthday playing a tag/hide-and-seek hybrid game in a park. This nice little premise is unpacked into a deeply immerse experience that positively oozes with infectious charm and the joy of play. And like a game in which you play a game should be, it is so fun! And when it ends, you can play it again with different and interesting permutations. Oh, and there's clever use of sound, cute visuals and all round excellent production values.

If I could give Wade Clark a high five through the internet, I would.

Great hide-and-seek game with ingenious puzzles. Uses sound and graphics, February 3, 2016
Before I played it, Six was recommended by many, many people. It was nominated for Best Game in the XYZZY awards, it did very well in IFComp, reviewers said it was the best game ever. But I wasn't very interested.

Having tried it, I see now why all the hype was there. This is a very fun game. You have to play hide and seek tag/tip with your six friends in a park. The game uses children, but the writing isn't childish. Each friend presents a unique challenge in catching them. After winning the game, you can unlock additional material.

The game features a wide assortment of sounds, which were never necessary except for one part of the additional material. The graphics are also fun but unnecessary (the map can be helpful, but the layout of the park is not hard).

This game is not very difficult. I use hints/walkthroughs on just about every game I play, but I manage to work my way through this one relying on in-game nudges only. Great game.

If you enjoyed Six...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Six, or gave both high ratings:

A Bear's Night Out, by David Dyte
"Tomorrow is the big Teddy Bear party, and you must definitely not let your owner forget about it..." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL, by Porpentine
happy valentwine's day please turn on your speakers and your monitor and your mouse and your keyboard when you play this thank you

Laid Off from the Synesthesia Factory, by Katherine Morayati
Synpiece: A wearable technology that changes the wearer's mood. Users of the Synpiece can adjust the 'color' of their experience, which adjusts psychological traits mapped to hue (emotion), saturation (intensity) and value (complexity)....

Six appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Cute games by MathBrush
These are games which are cute and/or sweet, in the sense that they are pleasant, relaxing, appropriate for children, or meant to warm your heart. This doesn't include absurdist games or more traditional fairy tales with strong elements...

IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

The following polls include votes for Six:

Australian Setting or Characters by Tigrita
I've played several good games with Aussie characters or setting, and I was wondering if there are any others. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the game, just a little extra colour.

AI developments, particularly NPC-AI by breslin
Doesn't need to be satisfying as a conventional game, but must be interesting as an experiment. The idea being that AI work in IF is something that still needs work. Name the games you think which are contributing to this area of genre...

Games with easy English by Fitbos
I'm a Chinese guy who is really interested in text-based stuff, but my English is not very good for me to play games with hard English. Especially games with slangs every where. So I'm just looking for games that really written in easy...

This is version 14 of this page, edited by Keiya on 18 March 2015 at 6:42am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item