* Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.
Have you played this game?You can rate this game, record that you've played it, or put it on your wish list after you log in.
Playlists and Wishlists
RSS FeedsNew member reviews
Updates to downloadable files
All updates to this page
About the StoryYour name is Harriet Leitner, and you and your twin sister Demi turned six this morning! You're having a fancy dress birthday party, and this afternoon you'll be playing Hide and Seek Tip over in the park. You can't wait to catch all your friends.
Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best NPCs; Winner, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2011 XYZZY Awards
(Version 4 details:
August 5, 2012
- A tiny bugfix and two microscopic text tweaks bring Six even closer to a
state of pure buglessness. Perhaps it's there now?..
- Marion could address the player as the player's sister at one point. Fixed.
- They're microscopic.)
I haven't included the custom extensions, graphics or 50+ sound effects with the source for now, so this is not a file one can compile into the game (workaround - if you want the compiled game, download it) but 98% of the game code and everything that I think may be of most interest to other authors is in this file.
At the head of the source is the Creative Commons licence under which I'm releasing it, then there is a section of notes with pointers to a few particular examples of programming, and notes on navigating the source.
- The ability to search trees in the Tree Garden using complex commands (EG 'search a tall curly ugly-looking tree') has been in place since Release 1, but was marred by some bugs and oversights. It should no longer give contradictory feedback or match partial words, and can now also be triggered by a wider range of commands.
- Fixed a couple of missing sound FX in Harriet's duel.
- 3 erroneous messages fixed.
- COUNT command improved, FLY command added.
- A few dialogue / behaviour additions for kids.
- Some other messages improved or tweaked.
1. If Six was unable to create its data files for any reason it would eventually crash with runtime errors. The game now checks that it can write the files on startup and advises the player if it can't.
2. The game failed to store the player's chosen volume settings. Fixed, plus now the current settings always override those of a saved game.
3. The game could crash after a RESTORE if sounds were playing at the moment the game was saved. Fixed.
4. If player restored a game from the front-end menu, the status bar didn't reappear. Fixed.
5. Game's story description tag is now filled out properly for programs that use it.
6. Demi's leaf no longer disappears forever if used.
7. There were a couple of moments where you couldn't follow Ayla, though you should have been able to. Fixed.
- 30+ tweaks, fixes, improvements and clarifications made to prose, in-game hinting and dialogue.
- 18 new commands/bits of grammar understood.
- Added a new layer of pronoun code. Pronouns typed by the player are now handled pretty well.
- Made the maze less querulous and more helpful. If you're taking too long, it gets easier. One maze advice message is now also explicit about the fact you can use stereo speakers to help work out which way to go.
- Due to popular demand, Harriet can now hug Ayla.
Delicious Icing, Even Better Cake
"...The game presents its PC's perspective in a very matter-of-fact way, with very little adult sentimentality attached. The NPCs are well-drawn too, feeling like real children rather than hasty stereotypes. I thought the dialog rang especially true — as the parent of a six-year-old myself, I recognized the mix of quirkiness and practicality in the game's characters from my observations of the kids around me..." - Paul O'Brian
See the full review
Essays on Six's setting, NPCs, implementation and supplemental materials
"Play is also central to Six, a lovingly crafted tale of hide and seek starring (naturally) six six-year-olds. As the birthday girl charged with finding and catching them all, your primary verbs of interaction are SEARCH, CHASE, and TIP (or tag), with some TALKing thrown in for good measure. While minimally painted, each hider has a distinct personality, usually broadcast through their chosen costume and reflected in their manner of speech." - Aaron Reed
See the full review
|Average Rating: |
Number of Reviews: 2
Write a review
In Six you play a girl on her sixth birthday playing a tag/hide-and-seek hybrid game in a park. This nice little premise is unpacked into a deeply immerse experience that positively oozes with infectious charm and the joy of play. And like a game in which you play a game should be, it is so fun! And when it ends, you can play it again with different and interesting permutations. Oh, and there's clever use of sound, cute visuals and all round excellent production values.
If I could give Wade Clark a high five through the internet, I would.
Having tried it, I see now why all the hype was there. This is a very fun game. You have to play hide and seek tag/tip with your six friends in a park. The game uses children, but the writing isn't childish. Each friend presents a unique challenge in catching them. After winning the game, you can unlock additional material.
The game features a wide assortment of sounds, which were never necessary except for one part of the additional material. The graphics are also fun but unnecessary (the map can be helpful, but the layout of the park is not hard).
This game is not very difficult. I use hints/walkthroughs on just about every game I play, but I manage to work my way through this one relying on in-game nudges only. Great game.
If you enjoyed Six...
Related GamesOther members recommend these games for people who like Six, or gave both high ratings:
|A Bear's Night Out, by David Dyte|
Average member rating: (49 ratings)
"Tomorrow is the big Teddy Bear party, and you must definitely not let your owner forget about it..." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]
ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL, by Porpentine
Average member rating: (20 ratings)
happy valentwine's day please turn on your speakers and your monitor and your mouse and your keyboard when you play this thank you
|Laid Off from the Synesthesia Factory, by Katherine Morayati|
Average member rating: (15 ratings)
Synpiece: A wearable technology that changes the wearer's mood. Users of the Synpiece can adjust the 'color' of their experience, which adjusts psychological traits mapped to hue (emotion), saturation (intensity) and value (complexity)....
Recommended ListsSix appears in the following Recommended Lists:
Cute games by MathBrush
These are games which are cute and/or sweet, in the sense that they are pleasant, relaxing, appropriate for children, or meant to warm your heart. This doesn't include absurdist games or more traditional fairy tales with strong elements...
IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...
PollsThe following polls include votes for Six:
Australian Setting or Characters by Tigrita
I've played several good games with Aussie characters or setting, and I was wondering if there are any others. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the game, just a little extra colour.
AI developments, particularly NPC-AI by breslin
Doesn't need to be satisfying as a conventional game, but must be interesting as an experiment. The idea being that AI work in IF is something that still needs work. Name the games you think which are contributing to this area of genre...
Games with easy English by Fitbos
I'm a Chinese guy who is really interested in text-based stuff, but my English is not very good for me to play games with hard English. Especially games with slangs every where. So I'm just looking for games that really written in easy...
This is version 14 of this page, edited by Keiya on 18 March 2015 at 6:42am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item