Walkthrough

Dreary Lands

by Paul Lee profile

Surreal, Religious, Fantasy
2005

A surreal game that starts you out amnesiac in a brightly colored cell and turns swiftly into fantasy thereafter.

Placed 29th in the 2005 Interactive Fiction competition.

IFID: ZCODE-1-050928-AF99
TUID: k90xf7mt4wgar7ma

29th Place - 11th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2005)

Self-reviewing, September 5, 2008
by madducks (Indianapolis, Indiana)
The most striking feature of "Dreary Lands" is the awful spelling. I can't imagine that it was proof-read even once. Towards the end there is a nearly game-stopping bug, but the game can be completed.

I was going to say quite a bit about the writing, which had some promise, but the following quote from the about text of the game pretty much removes the need to add anything to this review:

"I know this game is not very good; It even disappoints me.
[...]
I am not going to release a better version of this game, though."

A shortish parser game with color effects and a fantasy/Escape story , May 26, 2016
In this game, you play someone who has lost their memory and finds themselves in a room with nothing but a mysterious colored rod.

6ou go through a sequence of escapes with some genuinely creative and fun puzzles before transitioning to another genre.

There were some bugs and many typos, but I enjoyed it overall, especially the first half. The author was 14 at the time of writing, and this game is a significant accomplishment for someone of that age.

Dreary Lands on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Dreary Lands:

A Poll About ... A Poll About ... Hm. That's Funny. I Can't Recall. by Ghalev
As of the founding of this poll, the IFDB has only seven games with the "amnesia" tag. I don't buy that for an instant. Please vote for games where the player-protagonist-person is dealing with a bout of forgetfulness (usually about who...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Bainespal on 2 September 2009 at 10:36am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item