deepspace.zip *
Contains deep.gam
deepspacedrifter1.0.sit.hqx
Mac OS Application (Compressed with StuffIt, encoded in BinHex format. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)

Deep Space Drifter

by Michael J. Roberts profile and Steve McAdams

1990

Stranded in deep space after running out of fuel, you luck upon a nearby space station. When you get there, though, the place is abandoned, and strange things seem to have been happening lately. And if you can make your way off the station and reach the planet below, that's when things get really strange.

License: Shareware
IFID: TADS2-BBAAE2C770B2475770B6C28F7588094B
TUID: k82q3libhff6ks8l

You are a deep space explorer in distress who docks on an abandoned space station seeking rescue. Structurally, DSD is split into two parts - the first one taking place in the station itself, and the second - on the planet the station is orbiting around. The first part has a nice (albeit non-exceptional by modern standards) setting with not-too-hard puzzles (I'd got the feeling they were intended as appetizers for the next part). The second section of the game effectively is a sketchily implemented bunch of puzzles; the puzzles themselves, however, are of top quality - very elaborate, logical, fun to solve, and immensely satisfying.

The development process for DSD has been described by Mike Roberts in his TADS manual, and I agree with him in that the entire game reflects its history. I'd especially recommend it to beginning IF-authors, since it shows pretty clearly that even a great authoring talent, and excellent programming skills won't help you if you don't plan your work thoroughly.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

The part of the game on the space station is good, with quite a bit of atmospheric details and generally good puzzles. But down at the planet things are less convincing. Everything is deserted, but no real reason for this is given. Several of the puzzles here are also very time-consuming and tedious. Among these puzzles are the game's two infamous mazes.

Deep Space Drifter is a science fiction tale which should appeal to all adventure fans who enjoy a real challenge and appreciate well written text and cleverly constructed, original puzzles spiced with just the right touch of humour. To have produced such a work as well as the TADS utility with which it was implemented is worthy of the highest praise. With a bit of fine tuning and, of course, some lavish product packaging, Deep Space Drifter could very nearly pass for an Infocom title of the mid '80s, something like a Planetfall/Starcross hybrid. Need I say more? (Neil Shipman)

I found the start of DSD very good indeed and was looking forward to more of the same once I reached the planet. The mazes however spoil this, for me anyway. I do not object to the odd maze, I even enjoy small to middling sized ones - however twisty amd turny. The 130 location jobby here though could easily have been done in at the most half the size. The second 'maze' was the last straw after this although I do admire the idea immensely. (Richard Hunt)

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 11 March 2013 at 7:26am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item