My Name is Jack Mills

First Publication Date: September 30, 2007
License: Open Source
IFID: 8D0C0904-99FB-41CC-9084-65AF6F366551
TUID: k7eyvakpq1ooynhk

9th Place - 13th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2007)

Jörgs Wort[be]reich
Rezension zum IF-Comp 2007 (German)
Als Privatdetektiv wirst du direkt in die Handlung geworfen, als du von einem Professor hinter Gittern den Auftrag erhältst, ein Artefakt wiederzubeschaffen. Deine Bemühungen führen dich durch Spelunken zu Ganoven, schönen Frauen und einer Verfolgungsjagd im Auto.

A short detective story about a stolen coin, February 3, 2016
In this short and simple detective game, you play Jack Mills, who is tasked with recovering a stolen rare coin.

The puzzles are fairly simple; the hardest ones were ones that have featured in a great deal of detective games (Spoiler - click to show)specifically searching the trash.

Despite the length and derivativeness, I enjoyed this game as a pleasant yarn. It was fun to see how the story unfolded, and I did feel like I was doing something good by solving the puzzles.

There are two ways of beating the game.

Simple pastiche of pulp detective tropes, December 7, 2013
Not a bad game--but rather simple and really holds your hand. If it is a mystery, it should have some more exploration and challenge. It is more of a comedy.

In terms of comedic writing, I felt let-down by this effort. It was too much a pastiche to be really enjoyable as a comedy--no subversion of tropes, just indulgence--and the mystery portion was completely straight-forward, offering no intuitive or logical challenge.

I vastly preferred the authors 2008 work "Gardening for Beginners", which was funny, tight, and hilarious. I sympathized for and related to the character and his struggle in Gardening for Beginners in a way that I could not engage Jack Mills.

If you enjoyed My Name is Jack Mills...

Other members recommend these games for people who like My Name is Jack Mills, or gave both high ratings:

PataNoir, by Simon Christiansen
The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.

Scavenger, by Quintin Stone
Search a war-shattered world for secrets of the past.

Enchanter, by Marc Blank, Dave Lebling
In Enchanter, the first of a spellbinding series in the tradition of Zork, you are a novice magician whom Fate has chosen to do singlehanded combat with a dark and fierce power. But worldly weapons will avail you naught, for your foe is...

My Name is Jack Mills appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

The following polls include votes for My Name is Jack Mills:

All the Pretty Sources by Jeremy Freese
IF games that have source code available that you'd hold up as an example of what good looking source code is supposed to look like. (I was motivated to post this by wanting to study some I7 source, but actually pretty source from other...

Cool Murder Mystery/Detective Games by Christopher Caesar
Hey everybody. I am looking for a murder mystery text game. I finished An Act of Murder a while ago and want to play more games like that, where to get to solve the murder yourself. If you could tell me some of your recommendations that...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Gantenkiel on 22 February 2009 at 4:05pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item