Photopia

- NinaS, July 3, 2016

- eli, June 29, 2016

- G_G, May 24, 2016

Brass Lantern

[...] the overall layout of the story appears to be a complex weave, where you travel along the thread as it makes its way in one direction, turns around and comes back, crossing the previous parts of the weave and then continues. [...] In summary, this game is like an interactive story nestled inside another. A russian doll. A woven russian doll at that.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

The colors, like everything else in Photopia, worked beautifully, adding artfully to the overall impact of the story. The work is interactive in other important ways as well. In fact, in many aspects Photopia is a metanarrative about the medium of interactive fiction itself. Again, it wasn't until the end of the story that I understood why it had to be told as interactive fiction. And again, to explain the reason would be too much of a spoiler. I have so much more I want to talk about with Photopia, but I can't talk about it until you've played it. Go and play it, and then we'll talk. I promise, you'll understand why everyone has been so impatient. You'll understand why I loved it, and why I think it's one of the best pieces of interactive fiction ever to be submitted to the competition.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), May 23, 2016

- Rollersnake (Rogers, AR), May 1, 2016

- Denk, April 17, 2016

- Matt Bates, March 28, 2016

- Mergath, February 25, 2016

- E. W. B., February 23, 2016

- sadcarnival (Australia), February 19, 2016

A variety of genres rolled into a cohesive story. An influential IF game., February 3, 2016

Photopia is often cited as the best interactive fiction of all time. It has won numerous awards, inspired a shift to story-centered Interactive Fiction, and so on.

It really is a great game. Despite all the hype, sitting down and playing through it is fun. The meta-puzzle of trying to understand what's going on keeps you going through different scenes. The different scenes give you the impression that you're playing a hard puzzle game while actually simplifying things without you knowing.

The colors are a good part of the game; if your interpreter doesn't support or if you are unable to distinguish between colors, you should use your imagination.

Is this really the best IF of all time? I honestly would have to say that nothing is really better than it. I don't replay it because it makes me sad. I like to stick to puzzle games or big crazy worlds. But this game has substance and meaning.

- IFforClassroom (East Asia), January 29, 2016

- wojnarabc, January 13, 2016

- namekuseijin (anywhere but home), January 12, 2016

- KennaM (Southern California), January 8, 2016

- Oreolek (Kemerovo, Russia), January 8, 2016

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page