Photopia

- aom, July 20, 2015

- Julia Myer (USA), July 10, 2015

Photopia review, July 4, 2015

by Cder
An amazing and touching game. Once you realize what all of the seemingly disconnected events have in common with one another, it will be quite the shock. Most of the events are told in different perspectives, all tying together into one specific event, and you will recognize said event when it reveals itself. 5/5, would play again.

- thebloopatroopa, May 27, 2015

- prevtenet (Texas), February 15, 2015

- hoopla, February 15, 2015

- besmaller (Portland, OR), January 28, 2015

Integrated graphical effects and strong emotional impact, January 19, 2015

Photopia has been an influential game. The amount of interactivity is small, but the story drives the game along. As has been mentioned, the emotional impact should really be classed as manipulative, but it is effectively done. The author manages to put the player into the skin of a number of different roles and also to make the reader identify with characters at different stages of their lives.

The underlying "story within a story" is pitch-perfect. Probably because it appeals to the wish fulfillment natural to games (or gamers?). The outcome of the game ends up being telegraphed about half way through, but this leads to the emotional punch and drive of the narrative. From then on, it unfolds remorselessly.

The greatness of the game is its ability to remain in mind after one has played it and yet be fresh on replay.

An important game. Emotional reactions will differ, but I would categorize it as touching. (Spoiler - click to show)Few mazes are as satisfying as the one in Photopia. We all have wings...

- openmedi (Berlin, Germany), January 17, 2015

- Jallarial, January 16, 2015

- morlock, January 13, 2015

Fantastic color themed game!, January 9, 2015

by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
I loved this! I loved how each part was themed by a color, and finding how everything fit together was really well done.

Having random words defined in parenthesis irritated me at first, but later on it was part of the charm. In the end, that became my favorite POV.

I've always been a fan of multiple perspective games, watching the story unfold from various perspectives and piecing everything together is always enjoyable for me. This game does it beautifully.

Beautiful game. Marvelous.

- Iakampa (Poland), January 6, 2015

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page