Debt

by Tony Perriello

First Publication Date: February 14, 2014
TUID: jr7noj5n0no6m49y

All the Elements of a Good Interactive Fiction . . . Except Interaction, March 8, 2014
by Sharpe (Playing Kerkerkruip, the IF Roguelike)
Related reviews: Twine
"Debt" is another work in Twine that's neither a "game" nor "interactive." Unfortunately, "Debt" didn't have to suffer from that common problem, which makes it a double tragedy. It would have been easy to make this linear, traditional flash fiction a fully interactive "choose your own adventure" style IF.

As a matter of fact, had almost any effort been made to make this an interactive fiction, I believe it would have been pretty good. Give the player a choice to carry out the mission, or refuse to do so. Give the player a choice about how much collateral damage they are willing to inflict to complete the task. During interrogation, should force be used? What amount?

As it is, the reader (note: "reader," not "player") must sit back and watch as they are spoon-fed scrolling text. While the scrolling text was novel at the very beginning, before it was over, I would have rather just read through it at my own pace.

"Debt" did make good use of sounds in some places (in others, it was annoying and likely the reader will mute it) and the ending was good. If only one could have arrived at that ending by choice while playing, its impact would have been much more profound. As it is, the reader doesn't feel any responsibility, nor is there any attachment to any of the characters in this short flash fiction.

Gave the game two stars rather than one because for what it is, it was well done. Had it been interactive, I could see it getting as high as four stars, a big rating from me. I love robots. I love bounty hunters. I love dystopian near-future sci-fi and evil corporatocracies. This had all the elements of a good interactive fiction . . . Except interaction.

Sharpe

If you enjoyed Debt...

People who like Debt also gave high ratings to these games:

9:05, by Adam Cadre
In this game, you play a man who has murdered a homeowner. Warning: there is no built-in help in this story, so if you need it, you may have to play on your own. This game has multiple endings.

Duck Ted Bundy, by Coleoptera-Kinbote
"After much deliberation done waist-deep in murked algae-rich waters, you have determined that your base urge is to kill. All other functions of your livelihood, eating, grooming, finding shelter, and so on, are all in service of this...

Abstract State-warp Machines, by Ivaylo Shmilev
Interactive science fiction poetry. It is suggested you play slowly and carefully, as the game's style and subject matter require a certain level of engagement. An entry in the 2014 Fear of Twine exhibition.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by zeartless on 21 September 2016 at 5:06am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item