Play online
at Ryan's website.

The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening

by Ryan Veeder profile

An unauthorized sequel to the Infocom classic, written for the 2018 MIT Mystery Hunt.

First Publication Date: January 12, 2018
Forgiveness Rating: Unutterable
IFID: 2129F231-53B0-40D2-8E22-438A8BEB86A9
TUID: jfab6frk3f6g5yme

Sequel to The Lurking Horror, by Dave Lebling

A try-die-repeat game with oddball knowledge-based puzzles, January 26, 2018
The original Lurking Horror was one of my favorite Infocom games, so I was interested in seeing Veeder's take on it.

This game is closer to Captain Verdeterre's Plunder than to any of Ryan's other games. Like Verdeterre, this game has a tight timer that sends you to your death, and you must play over and over to beat it.

This game exploits that structure for the story in amusing ways, though. You pick up in G.U.E. Tech (from Lurking Horror, itself inspired by M.I.T.), stuck in a time loop caused by the awakening of an Elder God. You are very aware of your previous iterations.

Progress is similar to Hadean Lands, in that you progress by gaining knowledge that your later iterations use. But instead of being tracked in-game, the knowledge is stored in password-like spells. The spell names include mangled versions of the author's name and a scrambled name of a D&D slime demon.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit; the solutions were generally very reasonable, and there was a nice 'power boost' or two near the middle of the game, with the end requiring you to tie everything together. I got impatient with one puzzle in the middle, when I had half a dozen unused spells and the same number of unsolved rooms and I couldn't figure out which ones went together. I decompiled to get past that stage, and didn't have any trouble after that.

If you enjoyed The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening...

People who like The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening also gave high ratings to these games:

Guttersnipe: St. Hesper's Asylum for the Criminally Mischievous, by Bitter Karella
The year is 1929. You are Lil' Ragamuffin, the roughest toughest urchin in all of Garbagetown DC and the surrounding wastes of Montgomery County, but somehow the constabulary has managed to capture you and commit you to the city's...

Hard Puzzle 2 : The Cow, The Stool and Other Animals, by Ade McT
On the farm, after The Event, things have gotten more complicated than they ought to be. A silly little Speed-IF. But can you solve it? Hall of Fame: CMG Deboriole

Hunter, in Darkness, by Andrew Plotkin

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 18 January 2018 at 10:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item