Rover's Day Out

- Cory Roush (Ohio), July 3, 2017

- Ivanr, June 6, 2017

Text-dumps, bad colors, uninteresting characters, March 4, 2017
by Audiart (Davis, CA)
Based on reviews I really wanted to like this game, and gave it a fair try. But it was just one text-dump after another from the beginning. I thought this would abate after the introduction, but it didn't. It was such a chore to try to plow through this rather dry writing that I felt totally unmotivated to explore or solve the puzzles. I was also instantly repelled by the different text colors, and I had no attachment to the characters.

As a fan of golden age science fiction, animal oriented games, humorous games, and metaphysics, I came into Rover's Day Out hoping for a lot. Unfortunately, all I got an uninteresting amateur novel that I had to tap my way through with canned responses.

- ikdc, February 6, 2017

Too repetitive, January 20, 2016
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)
I initially chose this game because it featured a dog. Unfortunately I found the lack of progress too frustrating and I did not complete this game. I don't really care for games that loop... especially if the loop is full of mundane tasks that I didn't enjoy the first time around. I love puzzles, but I felt this game's "puzzles" were more like virtual chores. There were also a ton of bugs which may or may not have been on purpose. For example, (Spoiler - click to show)when I filled the water dish and put it down for Rover, he seemed so thirsty that I picked it up and filled it again. But when I went to put it down, the game said I wasn't carrying it, and when I did "i" it wasn't in my inventory. In the next iteration the water bowl was already full, so maybe it is supposed to be "glitchy" based on the premise that you are building the simulation. I guess this game just wasn't for me. Two stars because I liked the humor.

- branewurms, December 24, 2015

- Aryore, December 13, 2015

- <blank>, November 21, 2015

Mid-length sci-fi game with multiple points of view and a dog, August 6, 2015

Related reviews: about 2 hours
Rover's Day Out is centered on a brilliant idea, which you discover the instant you start playing. Ostensibly, this game is about a morning routine and a cute dog called Rover. However, you soon learn more about what is really going on.

I finished playing this game on parchment, which caused problems with the status bar (which adds a lot of information). Also on parchment, I had a bug where an essential item (Spoiler - click to show)(dog food) disappeared, rendering the game unwinnable. The bug did not appear again when I played through the second time, some months later.

It can be a little hard at times to figure out what is going on, but that is part of the appeal of the game. The game gets progressively more intense, with the later game being especially intense. Plenty of surprises occur as the game progresses.

This game has been ranked in the Top 50 IF of all time, and it deserves its place.

- chux, May 20, 2015

- Steven Watson (UK), September 28, 2013

- Edward Lacey (Oxford, England), May 18, 2013

- DJ (Olalla, Washington), May 9, 2013

The Onion A.V. Club

It’s an engrossing science-fiction experience to rival the genre’s best short stories.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment