Competition version
Competition version

Sigil Reader (Field)

by verityvirtue profile

I am a sigil reader. I work in a city where sigils are a matter of public health, for a maliciously inscribed sigil could mean the ruin of a business - or a soul.

Except today I wake to a changed world. The sigils are distorted. And the Station is silent. I fear I am responsible.

A short parser game about exploration, loss and restoration.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: jddi0s4uwuh8nrpp

39th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
It feels like there's a lot of detail in this setup that's just a little bit beyond the frame. We're not really told, for instance, what the functions our colleagues served on the team: we know that we're the sigil expert, and it's only mentioned later, in passing, that scrying might be another thing the team handles. At the same time, the touches of personality scattered throughout the station, in addition to the "remember" command", conjure up broad, sketchy images of these colleagues. Not enough to create a detailed character profile, but hitting just the right notes to make them feel real.

If you enjoyed Sigil Reader (Field)...

People who like Sigil Reader (Field) also gave high ratings to these games:

Teeth and Ice, by Hannah Powell-Smith
A selkie will do anything to reclaim their skin.

The Mouse, by Naomi Z (as Norbez)
Better get home quick if you don't want to get hurt, Evelyn Grey. **This game contains mature language, alcohol, abuse, and a brief scene of violence. Player discretion is advised.**

Black Rock City, by Jim Munroe
You're at Burning Man, with six choices to make before the world goes white. Choose wisely. Or wildly. The dust storm won't care. Zero puzzles, sixty-four endings. Cover: Trish Lamanna

This is version 5 of this page, edited by verityvirtue on 22 November 2016 at 12:57pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item