Competition version
Competition version

Sigil Reader (Field)

by verityvirtue profile

I am a sigil reader. I work in a city where sigils are a matter of public health, for a maliciously inscribed sigil could mean the ruin of a business - or a soul.

Except today I wake to a changed world. The sigils are distorted. And the Station is silent. I fear I am responsible.

A short parser game about exploration, loss and restoration.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: jddi0s4uwuh8nrpp

39th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
It feels like there's a lot of detail in this setup that's just a little bit beyond the frame. We're not really told, for instance, what the functions our colleagues served on the team: we know that we're the sigil expert, and it's only mentioned later, in passing, that scrying might be another thing the team handles. At the same time, the touches of personality scattered throughout the station, in addition to the "remember" command", conjure up broad, sketchy images of these colleagues. Not enough to create a detailed character profile, but hitting just the right notes to make them feel real.

If you enjoyed Sigil Reader (Field)...

People who like Sigil Reader (Field) also gave high ratings to these games:

Stuff and Nonsense, by Felicity Banks
The year is 1860. The place is Bearbrass, Australia: a sprawling metropolis of tin, steel, brick, stone and brass. Queen Victoria is visiting Bearbrass for Australia's own Great Exhibition. All the sharpest minds of the colony have...

Rite of Passage, by Arno von Borries
A comedy in four parts about exciting games of instinct and wits, set in childhood. Not necessarily for children.

Cactus Blue Motel, by Astrid Dalmady
Somewhere between New Mexico and Arizona, three friends were driving through a barren desert of red rocks, and wide empty skies. It was the end of summer, the end of high school, the end of so many things. And then they found the Cactus...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by verityvirtue on 22 November 2016 at 12:57pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item