Competition version
Competition version

Sigil Reader (Field)

by verityvirtue profile

I am a sigil reader. I work in a city where sigils are a matter of public health, for a maliciously inscribed sigil could mean the ruin of a business - or a soul.

Except today I wake to a changed world. The sigils are distorted. And the Station is silent. I fear I am responsible.

A short parser game about exploration, loss and restoration.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: jddi0s4uwuh8nrpp

39th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
It feels like there's a lot of detail in this setup that's just a little bit beyond the frame. We're not really told, for instance, what the functions our colleagues served on the team: we know that we're the sigil expert, and it's only mentioned later, in passing, that scrying might be another thing the team handles. At the same time, the touches of personality scattered throughout the station, in addition to the "remember" command", conjure up broad, sketchy images of these colleagues. Not enough to create a detailed character profile, but hitting just the right notes to make them feel real.

A short surreal work set in an alternate universe, May 9, 2017
I beta tested this game.

This game is a short surreal story where you wander about an office place that is somewhat fantastical, and is both familiar and not.

It's hard to know what actions will have what effects, but that too is part of the story.

The best part of this game is the unusual culture of it, different from the male-powered white American setting assumed for so many games.

If you enjoyed Sigil Reader (Field)...