castles-1.1.z5
castles.z5
as entered in 2001 competition
castles-1.1.tar.gz
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

Silicon Castles

by David Given

Non-IF game
2001

"Please note: this game uses some of the more exotic features of the Z-machine. It's known to fail on some interpreters on some systems, due to interpreter bugs. The game will attempt to detect these bugs and warn you before it starts, but I strongly recommend that you get a well-established, standard terp. It was developed on Frotz, and that is what I recommend.

Enjoy yourself." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

IFIDs:  ZCODE-112-011119-257E
ZCODE-32-010910-C29E
TUID: j7xkckqtw6lx7k6v

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2001 XYZZY Awards

32nd Place - 7th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2001)

[A]lthough I was impressed as hell with Silicon Castles' technical achievements, I found it a rather unsatisfactory experience. As chess, it's not bad, but its interface is clunky and it appears to be missing some critical functionality. As interactive fiction... well, it's pretty much absent.

A chess simulation; not much else, but well-done, February 3, 2016
In this game, you awake a genie who can tell you about chess, its history and rules. You then play chess, with a graphic display.

That's pretty much it. I didn't finish a game; the computer seems to use some kind of machine learning algorithm (with a bunch of nodes mentioned).

I'd like to come back to this at some point. It belongs to the same class as Textfire Golf and Lists and Lists, a category separate from most IF, but still interesting.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 25 April 2008 at 12:05pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item