Zorkian Stories 1- G-U-E-.zblorb
ClubFloyd Transcript
A multiplayer transcript from ClubFloyd, with running commentary by the participants. Contains spoilers.

Zorkian Stories 1: G.U.E.

by Marshal Tenner Winter profile

Episode 1 of Zorkian Stories
Fantasy, Zorkian
2012

Finally making it to the Eastlands, you find a shaft leading to the depths of the Great Underground Empire where, supposedly, lost treasures that have been forgotten for centuries are waiting to be found again.

First Publication Date: October 15, 2012
IFID: 4AA706AF-8E7A-47E3-BB3D-9249433B670D
TUID: iad2jc9l3usqazgx

Quite short, but not bad for a first attempt, February 17, 2013
This is the author's first IF, and it shows. There are some missing synonyms (notably (Spoiler - click to show) "kill" and "break", only "attack" and at certain times "throw" can be used ), and at least one read-the-author's mind situation: in the lounge (Spoiler - click to show) you must "sit on table" to break it in order to retrieve its sturdy leg.
It is suggested to take care when in the machinery room, because if the wrong object is used (Spoiler - click to show)on the fan, then it will be destroyed by the latter. However, a simple "undo" can fix that.
It has been reported that there are two (Spoiler - click to show)dusty keys in the temple, which may causes disambiguation problems. In my run, however, I immediatly took one when I first entered the room, and even if the second one appeared after a "look", it did not create any problems, because one of those objects were already in the inventory, so, effectively, they were distinct.

On the bright side, it is reasonably well written, the puzzles (with the exception, perhaps, of the one in the lounge, see a spoiler above) are fair, and although another reviewer noted a missing room connection, this is not important in order to finish the game.

Overall, considering this is the author's first IF, it is a quite nice one...I have seen much worse first works.

Needs a Visit to the Frobozz Magic Playtesting Company, October 20, 2012
by Ghalev (Colorado)
This seems like an effort in good faith, but there are no testers credited that I can find (the game doesn't respond to any of the standard information requests like CREDITS, HELP, ABOUT, AUTHOR and so on), and I think a few rounds of testing would do a world of good getting the game into releasable condition. As it is, it's a pretty frustrating experience: awkwardly implemented, marred by spelling and grammar oddities, synonym omissions, awkward formatting choices, and more. The game launches immediately into name-dropping from established Zork lore to set the mood, but if it manages to deliver on that implied promise, the delivery waits over a horizon of frustration. With a team of testers and a little more time, this could well be a worthy entry into the fan-Zork category. Here's hope for its future ... but it's just not ready yet.

If you enjoyed Zorkian Stories 1: G.U.E....

People who like Zorkian Stories 1: G.U.E. also gave high ratings to this game:

The Surprising Case of Brian Timmons, by Marshal Tenner Winter
You listen to the old broad on the other end of the phone as she finishes her plight. "Brian has gone insane. I've had to have him committed.", she tells you. You haven't seen Brian Timmons in several years and now his distraught mother...

The following polls include votes for Zorkian Stories 1: G.U.E.:

The Modern Zorkalikes by Ghalev
My desire is straightforward, but proving difficult to satisfy. I want games that are like the Zork games might have been, given a more contemporary set of design ideals. It seems to be an abandoned playing field in some ways, as if the...

Combat puzzle games by Jeremy Freese
What I'm looking for are games that have fights that are ostensibly combat, but the solution to winning the fight is really a matter of solving a puzzle.

Some of the worst games written. by Bishopofbasic
The last time I put up a poll, I got some really great games, and loved playing them. So now I'm looking for some of the worst IF games ever created within the community. Something in the likes of Ed Wood.

This is version 19 of this page, edited by BlitzWithGuns on 2 January 2015 at 4:31am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item