metrolith

by Porpentine profile

Ruins
2012

I made this in a day for BIG TRASHY TWINE JAM. This is a micro-story generating CYOA inspired by Zdzisław Beksiński, about a traveler coming to a massive stone ruin.

The selection of travelers you can pick from is different each time.

First Publication Date: October 22, 2012
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: hskp3c5jt812tgsn

PopMatters
Itís hard not to draw comparisons between Metrolith and The Nameless City by H.P. Lovecraft as both stories capture the eeriness and wonder of exploring a mystery so vast you can never understand it. Metrolith is never outright scary but itís consistently unsettling, which is the more impressive feat in my opinion.
-- Nick Dinicola

A game where learning more means knowing less, January 16, 2015
by CMG (NYC)
This is a very short game. I don't know how many times I played it. You must play it over and over to explore the city fully. In that way, the game draws you into it just as the city does the characters.

The city is unknowable. Gaining familiarity with its features only makes those features more obscure. You glimpse something, you think you understand, might formulate some connection, and then you turn a corner and you're lost again.

You have the choice to play as multiple characters. Although each one explores the same locations, their perspectives yield different experiences. Two characters, a bandit and bounty hunter, live through the same story from opposing sides. The other characters drift in and out on their own personal journeys.

It is worth playing through as all the characters, but that's not strictly necessary. This isn't a game about figuring anything out. It's about brushing against something subconscious that you recognize and yet can't name or comprehend.

If you enjoyed metrolith...

People who like metrolith also gave high ratings to these games:

The Skeleton Key of Ambady, by Caelyn Sandel (as Adalai Trammels)
I come through town every dozen years or so. Strangers still seem strange, but I've found work and welcome everywhere I've been. I come and go as I please. Don't waste your worry on me. The Skeleton Key of Ambady was written for Nigel...

Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis, by One of the Bruces and Drunken Bastard
Stiffy Makane, or rather his ancestor Mentula Macanus, is here subjected to an increasingly-unlikely series of crudely sexual romps through the ancient world. It's sort of like the Satyricon, except not nearly as funny.

Hard Puzzle 2 : The Cow, The Stool and Other Animals, by Ade McT
On the farm, after The Event, things have gotten more complicated than they ought to be. A silly little Speed-IF. But can you solve it? Hall of Fame: CMG Deboriole

This is version 10 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 17 October 2013 at 4:14am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item