Mac OS Installer (Mac OS 9 and later)
Mac OS X Installer

2005

IFID: ZCODE-17-030706-1D56
TUID: hsf421jla3gpq4nh

Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best Puzzles - 2005 XYZZY Awards

Generally, though, this game is more about atmosphere than story. Dark, dusty, uninhabited (mostly), a little off-kilter, with remnants of technology lying around, seemingly abandoned mid-use... If I may get all English-majory for a moment, this just reinforces the artificiality and transience of the office life that came before. At least that's how it made *me* feel, especially given the contrast between your memories and the present disrepair. Another plus: the author paid a lot of attention to implementing as many of the five senses as possible. I particularly noticed sounds in various locations (the cicadas, the generator, ghostly voices), but there are smells and textures mentioned too. This worked for me.
-- Daphne Brinkerhoff

From the Author

Building is an atmospheric surreal/horror game with puzzles that are loosely connected together. As far as tone goes, it is darkly romantic through and through. It won't appeal to puzzle fiends, but atmosphere junkies will find it more to their liking. Theme? The nature of the modern workplace, seen through a very cynical and mourning mirror.

There are no bugs that I'm aware of; the game is playable and winnable. The puzzles are fair and not difficult except for one, which is challenging. I designed it that way so as to not disrupt the atmosphere.

It is influenced by Babel, so fair warning would be if you don't care for that style of gameplay, you won't enjoy Building much either.

An under-appreciated classic, June 30, 2015
Related reviews: 10+ hours
Building is a real gem. I enjoyed playing this game on and off over the course of a few months. It is a medium-large size adventure game like Zork or Curses!, but set in a sort of post-apocalyptic office building.

The game has enormous attention to detail; the game's vocabulary is about 2000 words, and the number of in game messages is about 2000 as well.

This attention to detail becomes a bit too much at times, with descriptions that are over packed with words. Many of the puzzles depend on clues hidden in the middle of large paragraphs.

The game contains more red herrings than any other game I have seen.

In the end, after seeing some of the author's reviews here and his blog (the author is AmberShards), I wonder if the game is partially autobiographical. The author and the PC hate conformity, and fight against perceived oppression.

If you enjoyed Building...