Mac OS X executable
Competition version
Mac OS X Application (Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)
Windows executable
Competition version
Windows Application (Windows 7 and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Linux download files
Index of files to download for playing on Linux.
SM_Readme.txt

The Skull Embroidery

by Jeron Paraiso

You've just crash landed in a mysterious forest, with a bad case of amnesia. Lucky for you the local hermit is willing to help you survive! You must explore, collect, craft, and equip yourself in order to escape and take revenge on those who have sabotaged you. Make sure to revisit previously explored areas and find the hidden treasure!

Features: -A Mysterious Old Man -Smart action prompt, only giving you simple, 1/2 key input actions that are valid at the time of decision -Fun combat system -Hunger system -Hidden rooms -Leveling system, based on your choices (Your experience applies when you rest) -Dialog system -Poisonous Mushrooms! -Save system (Not super well-tested, so best bet is to just play the game all the way through, which should take about 2hrs)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: hbujxdui24yipc

49th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
As an RPG, there is a natural focus on grinding battles to build up one's stats. Fortunately, it's easy to find these battles: these giant beetles keep reappearing at the same location, and it's a simple matter to just fight, leave, return, and fight again. Maybe unfortunately, that's the only thing there is ... I'm generally okay with a bit of grinding, but I wonder if many people are.

A text based RPG, October 18, 2016
"The Skull Embroidery" is a classic computer role playing game, except that it is text based. It's the first game of this kind I played, so I cannot compare it to its peers like, e.g., the well received Kerkerkruip.

In this game you start out without equipment, and also without any memory of your past. Your clothing and the circumstances you find yourself in hint at a dark past and a betrayal. All actions in the game are taken in game rounds. Each round you have three action points and each action takes a variable amount of points. Only actions available - based on circumstances and remaining action points - are presented to you as a menu, from which you select them by the one or two first letters of the command.

The engine for this was implemented by the author in the programming language Ruby, probably a considerable and technically successful effort. However, I found the interface often clumsy, especially when I had to take a "wait" action outside a fight, because not enough points remained for what I intended to do, or when, instead of just typing the direction letter, I had to first choose the travel action and then the direction. Furthermore, combat in the early game is quite a drag, as you have only limited actions and it requires a lot of menus and additional key presses to read through the same descriptions over and over.

Still, despite all my problems with the game, the writing is of high quality and the traditional attractions of RPGs, i.e., levelling up and equipping your character, certainly work well here. There even is a crafting system! If text based RPG sounds like up your alley this is worth a try.

If you enjoyed The Skull Embroidery...