Bloody Raoul

by Caleb Wilson (as Ian Cowsbell) profile

Summer in Saturnine. What a night for knife punks!

First Publication Date: October 27, 2017
TUID: gy03t9829pepo661

5th Place, La Petite Mort (English) - EctoComp 2017

Sign me up for sinister cityscapes and compulsive violence, November 5, 2017
An interactive grotesque about a “knife punk”, one of a subculture of criminals existing with little identity but for the knives they carry. The setting is rich, with weird and intriguing details about deities, bodies, and weapons, painting the picture of a sinister fantasy city full of desperate individuals running and fighting for the sake of it. All of which is to say: this is my jam.

Although some of Bloody Raoul‘s implementation is sparse, the atmosphere is suitably sinister and imaginative that I didn’t much mind. There are a number of ways to die, but the game is brief enough that this is less of a barrier to enjoyment and more of a curiosity. For the PC, it’s all part of their nasty, brutish and short everyday life.

A very original short gruesome story in an alt-historical universe, November 6, 2017
This was a strange game. When I started it, I thought, 'Oh, so this is writing which might be something really good, or just fluff'. As I played through, it all sort of fell together, and I liked it.

It's bizarre; a sort of mix between 80's neon punk and Jack the Ripper's London. Plus some of ancient Rome thrown in.

I had a bit of trouble at first figuring out what to do, but I grasped it in the end. I think this was my favorite of La Petite Morte, and perhaps of the whole Ectocomp competition.

If you enjoyed Bloody Raoul...

People who like Bloody Raoul also gave high ratings to these games:

The Statue Got Me High, by Ryan Veeder
Your job is to make sure John's party is successful. It won't be, though. Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project.

Ad Verbum, by Nick Montfort
"With the cantankerous Wizard of Wordplay evicted from his mansion, the worthless plot can now be redeveloped. The city regulations declare, however, that the rip-down job can't proceed until all the items within had been removed. As an...

Pogoman GO!, by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman
The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you don’t have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Caleb Wilson on 1 December 2017 at 8:10am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item