Game File

The Day time stood still

by Marius Müller profile

Episode 9 of The Alex and Paul Series

Dear Abbie,
I have a problem with my marriage and I don't know what to do. My husband Paul and I had our troubles in the past, but now he is possessed by the spirit of his evil Uncle Wally, while the forest around us is literally burning. We were on our way to the time machine with Dr. Elbe when things got a little dicey.
Please write back ASAP,
Love your column, Alex

First Publication Date: January 3, 2016
IFID: 87F81CC4-0472-4EDD-A057-CB74CEA9D74B
TUID: gwaxb5l94cv7lqn

Winner - The Neinth annual New Year's Minicomp

Simple puzzles but not very interesting story, July 18, 2018
by Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway)
This game takes place right after the action-packed ending of The Day of the Queen. And as hinted at in that game, it involves time travel. Time travel games can be fun, if cleverly constructed. Unfortunately, this one is not. Most scenes feel quite random, and the various time periods don’t create an interesting whole; they seem to only exist to provide objects for the game’s puzzles.

And the puzzles themselves don’t advance the story much. But they’re also not very interesting as puzzles; they seem to exist mainly so that there are puzzles in the game. Luckily, they’re all easy to solve, either by logic or by simple trial and error with the objects you have (some actions only make sense after you’ve performed them). There was, however, one puzzle I rather liked, and which was quite clever (but well-hinted, so that it wasn’t too difficult to solve).

This is a relatively short game, compared to the previous two games in the series. Therefore, one might perhaps expect some polish? Unfortunately, this is not a well-polished game. For instance, in one room, all objects mentioned in the room description were unimplemented. And the one object that could be interacted with could only(?) be discovered by exploiting a bug in the parser ((Spoiler - click to show)the response to the command ‘take all’ mentions the object).

One thing I like about the Alex and Paul games is the humour (puerile as it undeniably sometimes may be). In this game there’s less of it, and it often falls flat.

All in all, this a perfectly playable game, with simple puzzles to solve, but it’s not one of the more interesting nor funny games in the series. Play it if you like the series and are curious about what happens in the story; skip it if don’t.

If you enjoyed The Day time stood still...

People who like The Day time stood still also gave high ratings to these games:

TinyUtopias Football Manager: Super Soccer Slam Edition, by A. Johanna DeNiro
Your cooperatively owned soccer team begins on the sixth level of the pyramid of English football. Can you reach the top of the Premier League and also smash crony capitalism at the same time?

If I Wasn't Shy, by Joey Jones
"I kinda just sit at the checkout, and the place isn't even all that busy. So why'd you want to play a game about my life? I mean, it's not terrible but it would be so much more if I wasn't shy." (Part of Apollo 18+20: The IF Tribute...

Strained Tea, by Joey Jones
A ridiculously fiddly bare-bones tea drinking implementation. This was designed to showcase implicit actions. Source code is freely available for use.

The following polls include votes for The Day time stood still:

Great game sequels by Teaspoon
Whilst writing a review of "All Alone", Joey Jones's sequel to his game "If I Wasn't Shy", I became curious - how many examples of sequels are there in IF? Preferably good ones.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 26 May 2018 at 2:26am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item