Hosted Web Version
The playable web version of the game.
HTML Download (IF Archive)
Contains The First Day.html

The First Day

by Brett Chalupa profile

The first day of the journey of a young woman making her way to her parentsí home to escape the outbreak of a plague originating from the West Coast of North America.

First Publication Date: December 15, 2016
Current Version: v1.0
IFID: 70928336-259A-4C01-9AFB-855354063FD5
TUID: gqbpnss7hjorchrb

First Impressions, January 21, 2017
Honestly, I felt this was a really good story. It was well written, and maintained my attention.

I just feel the story could have been a bit more non-linear. It was pretty guided, and there weren't many choices. When there were, though, I felt the choices were equally weighted.

I *do* suggest you remove the undo button. Makes the reader fight a little bit harder to survive.

Dark apocalyptic Twine piece, December 16, 2016
This short Twine piece tells the story of a young woman headed to her familial home after an outbreak of plague in California.

The piece is dark, with numerous 'bad' endings, similar in nature to a CYOA book; thankfully, Twine's default undo lets the reader move backward and continue past the bad endings.

I liked some of the small details throughout, which contributed to a sense of place and space, but the pacing was a weaker point, especially in the opening, when the backstory is told through a long series of choice-less clicks. I think parts of this read too much like a traditional narrative, and it could be edited tighter to leave a sense of mystery and questions. Do we need to know the details of the plague? I'd rather get more into my character--her motivations, her goals, who she is.

The actions didn't make me connect with the character, and I'm not sure if that's because this is such a short piece, or if it's because of the 3rd-party approach, where the character is never "I" but instead "she"; the consistent use of a third-party pronoun may have contributed to my sense that I was really just flipping the pages in an electronic book, not inhabiting a character and making choices.

I think this piece would benefit from some tightening and editing; the opening scene is well-done, and the writing does have a raw, natural rhythm to it. I think a little editing by the author (especially reducing the consistent use of 'she' throughout) would improve the overall writing and strengthen the natural rhythm the writer has.

If you enjoyed The First Day...

People who like The First Day also gave high ratings to these games:

Remanence, by Stephanie Chan
A short game in which you rob a memory bank.

Hana Feels, by Gavin Inglis
Something is bothering Hana. Can you work out what it is? Take the part of four important people in her life and guide their conversations. After each scene, peek at Hana's journal and find out how she felt about the things you said.

The Theft of the Anathema of Vorus, by Audrey Higgins
You are Sorse the Unwitting, a thief that lives up to the name. When your latest theft goes horribly wrong, you must correct the problems it has caused lest the world be wrought with pain and woe!

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 16 December 2016 at 4:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item