The Abyss Online
Click to play online, right click to download HTML

The Abyss

by dacharya64 profile

Surreal

"The Abyss"--a surreal romp through the hills and valleys of the mind. Ever since you were young you've felt that you've been controlled, manipulated, forced into actions by some outside force, some being you can only describe as "it."

After a life of suffering and struggle, you're finally ready to face it through a gripping voyage of empathy, apathy, and a struggle to survive in the world of your mind.

I wanted to test the limits of interactive fiction as a storytelling medium. I wanted to allow this genre to open up different facets of the world and different facets of the player. Hopefully this story is not so different from the existence in which we all find ourselves.

First Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Tough
TUID: ggp2gtqag2cb8s0

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Interesting mood piece--, October 22, 2013
I'm not a huge fan of CYOA, so take my negative feelings with a grain of salt. My 2 stars doesn't reflect negatively on the technical implementation, and I think most of the writing was adequate, but the actual game elements were lacking.

I felt like there was a lot of text to wade through--it was mostly well-written, but just a lot, and I didn't feel like I had a good idea of what was going to influence what. Many times my actions produced the opposite outcome, and I didn't really see why, or how I could choose differently in the next situation.

My main problem with (many) CYOA games is I feel like the choice is meaningless, because I don't get enough data or feedback to make my choices intelligently. I felt that way with this game as well.

It has a good atmosphere, but the insistence on making the person playing the game the actual character (through the use of non-specific nouns and identifiers) hurt the immersion for me. The opening has several (potentially) strong scenes with "your parent"--not dad, father, mother, mom, etc, but "your parent", which killed any emotional impact it may have had for me.

I think it is better to be brave and risk not representing everyone by choosing a parent and making it a little more specific, when going for narrative immersion in emotional topics. I wasn't particularly interested in pursuing romance with the non-specific figure I met at a cafe.

I think if you like heavy text games and want to explore themes of alienation and loneliness this may be a good game for you, as it does do that. While I finished it (getting a bad ending), I wasn't interested in trying again to get another ending. The 2 stars reflects my subjective feeling about the style of the game--it is very well done for what it is.

If you enjoyed The Abyss...