Competition version.
Download files
Index of files and subdirectories to download, including images, Javascript, and CSS.

The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT!

by Ade

It is a long million, this. The Septem Tower, held in the Manifold by the Tagides Rings, grinds on and on - its grey walls pressing close. The only thing to look forward to is the long, cold, endless Waste.

The Royderlanks in the Body, aloof and cruel, expect too much and give too little. Only the Game of Worlds can take your mind away from the crushing obligations of a Vociferant worker. And finally, a wildcard into the Tournament of the Perfect Aphelion - only held once every ten progressions. This is your chance.

The Cards await. The Tournament begins. The tables are prepared.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
IFID: 2000A226-257F-4645-B644-7A1C679757DA
TUID: fsndsgd8pbu5gbuo

14th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
This was fun, and I foresee this being a great timewaster for a long time to come. The premise is that you're playing in a card game tournament, and the gameplay is a simulation of the card game itself. It's much like a collectible card game, in that you play a card to the table on your turn and that card has an effect on the playing field--that is, the "world" between you and your opponent, and the lifeforms you each control on that world.

I like the premise, it's entertaining, but it's not lasting for me, December 4, 2016
The text hints at a wide game world; yet the game is only a sequence of card games against nondescript opponents. If you win 5 in a row, you win the game. I had expected the games to become more challenging with time, and in a way they were; but it seemed to me that the game difficulty was due to the luck of the particular hand of cards that I was dealt, more than anything else. The computer opponent didn't seem to become smarter. The card game itself is entertaining, but not enough to make me want to play again. It may be that it's too easy -- I won 5 times in a row, I never lost.

I would have liked to see a bit of story to develop with each game. Maybe seeing variations in the game.

If you enjoyed The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT!...