Competition Version

Black Rock City

by Jim Munroe

choose-your-own-burnventure

You're at Burning Man, with six choices to make before the world goes white. Choose wisely. Or wildly. The dust storm won't care.

Zero puzzles, sixty-four endings.

Cover: Trish Lamanna

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Development System: Texture
TUID: f3ul2uztjrprp63t

30th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The structure is a branching CYOA, with completely unrelated branches, so stories might differ wildly. While the very first ending I hit seemed a little ominous, all the others on subsequent playthroughs have been bright and cheery; so I get the sense that this is about portraying the event's positivity, about describing the delight of an afternoon at Burning Man.

wanders off in many directions and goes nowhere, October 6, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2016
Many sightseeing and characters and paths in a deeply unfulfilling experience. You read a paragraph or two of text, drag your verb into the relevant word, rinse, repeat. There seems to be no narrative arc whatsoever and the whole thing plays like a rushed marijuana-fueled egotrip without purpose and no two elements ever adding to each other.

Make beautiful art and set it on fire., October 26, 2016
by Owlor (Sweden)
One of my favorite things about this game is reading reviews from people who either don't know about Burning Man or didn't connect this game to it. Absent this context, it kinda sounds like this strange magical realist story as opposed to a pretty accurate depiction of Burning Man, by all accounts.

Because it's such a celebration of Burning man, I think you reaction to this will depend on your feelings about the festival. Personally, I just like the fact that something that strange exist in the world and I'm fascinated by the contradictions surrounding it. Since I am scandinavian, on the wrong continent, and would die in a desert, this is prolly the closest I'll ever get to experiencing it.

Weird in a good way, October 6, 2016
by Sobol (Russia)
Black Rock City gave me the same relaxed feeling as did Beautiful Dreamer by S. Woodson.

The PC doesn't have any clear goals, they just have some time to spend at Burning Man festival before a dust storm hits. There are no right or wrong choices, no pressure; you explore different branches of the game, learn things about the bizarre city and its inhabitants, feel free to try even ill-advised actions like (Spoiler - click to show)jumping from a flying carpet.

The game has 2^6=64 endings and a considerable variety of possible actions across the branches; in addition to standard adventure verbs like "examine", "talk to" and "kiss", sometimes you can choose "believe", "sass", "admire", etc.

If you enjoyed Black Rock City...