Buck the Past

by Andrew Schultz profile

A game with word puzzles and weird items and, eventually, self-actualization.

Author's Comment: "While this is in the spirit of Problems Compound and Slicker City, there's no reason you have to play either to appreciate this."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
TUID: f2iamffmmzso7xzz

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2017

Unintuitive puzzles detract from a few clever moments, May 9, 2017
by Audiart (Davis, CA)
I found this game a lot denser than other Ned Yompus games. It is almost a sequel to Shuffling Around in format and gameplay. The main sequence is exploring the environment to figure out what the wordplay is, then adapting your command to that scene.

Ultimately I found the solutions increasingly illogical and farfetched and ended up resorting to the walkthrough constantly. Even while following the author's walkthrough directly, the solutions just stopped making any sense to me pretty early into the game.

Since Buck the Past has essentially no plot or character development, everything boils down to whether or not the wordplay makes sense and is funny. In most cases, the solutions are so unintuitive that it is hard to enjoy the more clever moments.

I enjoyed Shuffling Around quite a bit, but Buck the Past, while based with a good premise, was ultimately too untamed and illogical for me to complete.

More backwards phrases, this time with some unusual puzzles, May 11, 2017
This game is in the spirit of the Problems Compound and Slicker City. It's a surreal adventure about self reflection and mean people, where everything is written using common phrases turned backwards (which reminds me, Andrew should write a game where every puzzle solution is a palindrome).

The puzzles were more interesting this time around, though I had the hardest time getting initial clues on how to solve them. I enjoyed the postponed mechanic, for instance.

These three games are all of one cloth. If you liked the others, you'll like this one.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 8 April 2017 at 11:11am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item