chancel.gam

Chancellor

by Kevin Venzke

Fantasy/Surreal
2005

Maturity attained, the daughter is unfurled upon the world, embarked upon a mysterious quest by her father.

Language: English (en-US)
IFID: TADS2-ADC5A0830ADF6A68959E81D895232E12
TUID: f1gnkn28ddfzs0s1

9th Place - 11th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2005)

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2005 XYZZY Awards

Chancellor does better than just mixing up ingredients of other games, and introduces a device personally I quite rarely (if at all) encountered in IF: it lets the two game worlds melt together. [...] It's been a thrilling experience indeed, which has been enhanced even more by the magnificent writing and the very comprehensive setting that implemented every object mentioned in the descriptions, and responded adequately to every action I could think of.

Unfortunately, the game isn't crowned with a worthy end; rather, it shakes off all the mysterious stuff the player has encountered using a quite battered excuse.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

Forgotten gem about two realities and facing fear, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
Chancellor is a game that got a bit overlooked in the IFcomp for being long, of moderately hard difficulty, and not having a walkthrough. Later, it got more attention, being nominated for Best Game, Best Story, Best Writing, and Best Individual Puzzle in the XYZZY awards.

You play in two different worlds. The first is a fantasy world, where you must leave your father to undertake a quest. The second is (Spoiler - click to show)the real world, where you are a chancellor (like a resident aide) in an abandoned dormitory.

Both have a grim and brooding atmosphere, but also one of wonder at the world around you. The two worlds are interconnected.

The writing is excellent. The game is excellent. The author has a hints guide up somewhere that got me through a few tricky points, although the guide is very very minimal.

Strongly recommended.

Weak, November 13, 2007
by James Hall (UK)
Unlike Kurusu City, Chancellor was relatively free from bugs, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, unlike Kurusu City, the story is pretty nonsensical and I didn't feel compelled to play it for very long.

If you enjoyed Chancellor...