MS-DOS Application
Contains GOLF.PRC
converted to PalmOS .prc file
Palm OS Application (PalmOS low res devices and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Textfire Golf

by Adam Cadre profile

Stand steady at the tee... head down... slow backswing. Now, drive your tee shot 220 yards down the fairway, splitting a pair of sandtraps. Loft a five iron onto the green. And sink a twenty foot putt for a birdie!

You control the swing and aim throughout 9 championship quality holes. The fairways and greens are beautifully manicured, but the sand traps are deep... and the rough is... rough!

First Publication Date: January 3, 2001
IFID: ZCODE-1-010114-FFC8
TUID: ezit1n3a1idd6bn3

Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Use of Medium - 2001 XYZZY Awards

[...] A halfway Z-abuse (not completely ASCII art-based like Z-snake, for example), Textfire Golf also incorporates an interesting storyline for a quick 9-hole game of golf. What makes this game really work though, is the arcade-like feature of being able to control your ball's pace and trajectory. [...]

Brass Lantern
[...] The NPCs work for one of the classic reasons: your interactions with them are carefully restricted. They don't respond to conversational gambits. The only significant way you have to communicate with them, to impress them or make them angry, is through your golfing behavior. At the real heart of this game is the negotiation of your social position, which is, to people like me, far more interesting than the problem of moving a little round ball over uneven ground. [...]

IF game and golf simulator in one package, September 18, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
I know little about golf; in fact, my golf knowledge has increased significantly by playing Textfire Golf. So I cannot comment on the accuracy of the representation of golf that Cadre gives us, but it feels realistic and detailed to a non-golfer.

That is important because Textfire Golf is, first and foremost, a golf game. You get a description of the course you are on, you select a club, and then you type "swing". This will open up a little semi-graphical interface in the title bar in which you have to press a key at the right time to indicate first the strength and then the direction of your shot. The aim is... well, the aim supposedly is to finish the 9-hole course in as few hits as possible. So at the core, here, we have an arcade game. (Don't worry if you're really bad at this, though: you can "undo" whenever you want.)

But there is also real interactive fiction going on. You can type any command you want, and interactions with the environment and with your three fellow golfers (some guys from work who have invited you to join them) are possible and sometimes lead to startling results. Your fellow golfers continually comment on how the game is going, and the final result of the game will depend on their scores as well as yours.

The combination works surprisingly well. The arcade game is entertaining and gives us something to do, while the characters keep us interested in completing the game. It's a weird little set-up, but definitely worth experiencing.

Should that be four stars? In the end, I decided to give the game three stars because the arcade part of the game is just not that interesting in the long run. Replaying the game will give you different endings, but not many people will be replaying this game more than once or twice.

Arcade IF, September 7, 2008
by Maze (Rome, Italy)
This is a rare example of arcade IF. You have to play a 9 holes golf course, against 3 other opponents. You choose the club, and you control power and direction (via a cursor which moves on screen, while you have to press SPACE at the right/desired moment). In it's way, it's curious and well done.
There is some story background, though minimal. And, being an Adam Cadre game, you might want to try different commands, other than shooting the ball. Many of them will have you laugh (showing the *famous* Cadre's cruel humor - which I love), and leave you craving to find all the possible ones - though there aren't many. Don't forget to check the "about the author" option in the beginning.
Definitely worth a try.

More substance than I expected; a golf simulator, February 3, 2016
In this game, you play through 9 holes of golf with 3 coworkers. I never actually beat it, due to bad golfing.

It's actually fairly fun; instead of normal puzzles, you have a real-time drive meter and a left-to-right meter, and you have to get it right in correct spot to win.

I especially had trouble, thinking that a 9-iron would go farther than a 3-iron. But it was still fun.

The NPCs are entertaining, and there are some practice sessions for putting and driving.

A fun diversion.

If you enjoyed Textfire Golf...